Julian

Chapter Two

Julian

I've never understood women. Never have, and I don't think I ever will. Grace and my mother are probably the two most complicated females on this planet. Sometimes over dinner, they'd start discussing some dress they saw the other day then they'd have a long conversation about why black peep-toe stilettos would go better with it than closed-toe ones. 

            Sometimes they'd drag me to go shopping with them and I'd have to endure endless talks about what type of strapless bra is better to buy. Don't get me wrong, I love bras and all but listening to your mother and sister discuss them like they were discussing the weather is enough to make you want to pull your hair out. And not to mention awkward.

            It's a wonder how my father and Chase put up with them.

            That's probably the reason I've never dated a girl before. Or one of them, anyway. I'd hear my friends complain about how their girlfriends won't speak to them because of something they'd misinterpreted and complain about how they needed a guide to understand the functioning of the female brain and I'd thank God I didn't have to put up with that. 

            But when it comes to Nadine, I understand her pretty well. That's one of the main reasons I fell for her. When I asked her out the first time, I understood why she said no as she did all the other hundred times I asked her after that. When we had that run-in with Brittany at my mom's party I understood why she had gotten so agitated afterwards. 

            So you see, I have a pretty good understanding of how Nadine's brain functions, but when she left straight after I got shot, after I told her I loved her, after she told me she forgave me, that I don't understand. 

            And I'm pretty sure the bullshit her father fed me when he told me her reason for leaving is very much indeed, bullshit. Yeah, like I'll believe that she left because “she still can't trust me”. He was lying and we both knew it. 

            Sure I hurt her when she listened in on that conversation with Brittany, but she said she forgave me. Hell, I took a bullet for her. If that doesn't say I'm sorry, I don't know what does. Don't get me wrong, I'll gladly take a hundred bullets for her, but the least she can do is stick around. 

            Though I have a feeling it has something to do with Luke. Okay, maybe it's not a feeling, more like I'm absolutely sure it has something to with Luke, but I still don't understand why she left. Luke's in jail now, he's been charged with kidnap and attempted murder. The most harm he could do to her is send her a message. Even then I don't think the prison would let him. 

            I have a couple of other theories though. Maybe someone's threatening her, but who would? Everyone in Luke's gang hates him, they're glad he's in jail. My other theory is that she feels guilty and thinks that distancing herself from me is what's going to ease her conscious.

            Like I said, I don't understand women.

            It's been two months since then and I still haven't found her. I've tried everything, literally. I've tried asking around the dorms to see if she's staying there but I found nothing. Though I highly doubt she would be staying there. 

            I asked anyone and everyone, but no one even knew who she was. So she'd changed her name, a smart move, but it makes me more worried as to what's happening to her. It must be pretty serious if she has to change her name. 

            I even got one of my friends who's a total computer geek to trace her phone but it was untraceable. She covered her tracks perfectly. I know Grace has been looking as well. She tries not to show how much Nadine has hurt her by leaving, but I can still see it.