6

a real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out

Amelia pulls me in for a hug.
"Oh, Addie! It's so good to see you! I've missed you so much."

"I've missed you too;" I hug her and inhale her smell. She's always smelling like cinnamon.

" Now, come inside. I have something to talk about with you."

I love that she is so normal and doesn't directly speak about my parents' death and how sorry she is. I know she is. But I've messaged her about it and we've talked over facetime. Seeing each other is still different but because she lives five hours away we can't meet each day. To be exact we only see each other during the holidays or on occasions like today. When we were little it was easier because she used to live at the castle with me. Her mother was my mother's best friend and they met in school. They became best friends very quickly and Amelia's mother was my mother's lady for many years. When Amelia's mother found out she was pregnant my mother already knew but hadn't told anyone. They told each other on the same day. Then their due dates were only a few weeks apart and now my birthday is November 3th and hers is December 2ond. Someday her mother wanted a change. So decided she wanted to move to the sea. My mother could understand but still was sad her best friend would leave her. Amelia and I were sad too because it would mean we wouldn't see each other anymore. We grew up together our whole lives until Amelia moved away when we were thirteen. Since then we visit each other whenever we can.

"How have you been?" she asks.

"Okay, it could've been worse. I'm starting to feel better, but you know."

She nods understandably.

"What about you? Any changes in your life?"

"Nope, nothing interesting. But I wanted to ask, will there be a party on national day? And will Jax and Elio come?"

"Sure, September 11th is a national holiday, you know that. I think we'll have a party and I am pretty sure Jax and Elio will attend. But Millie, you know, until then it is more than half a year." I look at her with a smile.

"Great, I'll visit then," she says, completely ignoring the fact that it's seven months until the national day.

"But, I've heard they are also coming here on my coronation day. Just so you know. It's in two days. Maybe you want to stay?" I ask her with a little smile.

"Oh, definitely. Just let me call mom and ask. I am sure she'll come too."

"Great, now, I don't know how much Orson told you, but I am in search of an advisor. Well, Orson calls it my advisor, but I like lady more. First I thought of you, but I think you being my best friend is enough and then you would stand under me. I don't want that," I try to explain it to her.

I don't know how. She's already kind of my advisor because as a best friend that's what you do.

"I know how you meant it," she says.

"Did you choose someone already?"

"I didn't, that's why I let you fly in. The girls Orson chose are at the castle currently. I talked to them today and told them I would make my decision tomorrow. But I need your help. I can't decide."

"Sure, tell me about them. How many are there?"

"There were 30," I let her know.

She looks at me shocked.

"But then only the top ten and now I have top 3."

"Okay., that's something I can work with," she says.

I tell her all about Alaia, Livia, and Elodie and after about an hour we make a decision together.