34

goliath by smith & thell

Fall holidays, finally! I really need a holiday even though it hasn't been more than two months since the summer holidays.

I really only want to have a nice time with my family and Liv and our dog. For me personally, it's still crazy that Liv got us a dog, but I absolutely adore her. Everyone does. And Arya is so clever. She can do so many tricks and we are teaching her even more.

Today we planned on going into the woods to go on a really long walk. Liv, Arya, and me. Nobody else.

+++

Liv grabs my hand.

"I love today," she says.

"I love today as well," I say.

"You know this is how I imagined what my life would be like in about ten years. I would be out on a walk with my husband and a dog. Maybe we would already have our first child and I would be pregnant with our second child or maybe this would be our first child. We would wander through the woods with our dog, maybe even with two dogs. Everything would be perfect," she tells me.

"Well, isn't everything perfect?" I ask her, a little confused.

"Oh, it is. I didn't mean it like that. It's just so different than I imagined my life at 17. I imagined myself going to high school having a bunch of friends and a boyfriend. On the weekends I would do something with my boyfriend but Friday nights would be free for my girls. We would do everything you do as teenagers, you know? Now, I have a girlfriend, I'm eight months pregnant and I have a dog. Oh, also, my girlfriend is a queen," she explains laughing. "It's still perfect. Just not as I expected," she adds.

"You think I expected my life to be like this at 17?" I say laughing.

"I thought I would live my happy life with my parents being queen and king. I would go to school and Amelia and I would see each other every day. We would go on double dates and when we were older we would both get married and move next to each other. Both of us would have three kids. First girls, then boys and then a boy and a girl. They would be best friends and all grew up together as Millie and I did. One day I would become queen and Millie my advisor.

Now I'm 17. I have a pregnant girlfriend, a dog, and dead parents. Not really what I imagined, but it's still really close to perfect."
"Only really close?" Liv asks while she pretends to be offended by my words.

"Only really close to being perfect, because for it to be perfect my parents would've to be alive," I explain.

"Oh, I understand. Believe me. I wish mine would still be alive," she says. It's the first time she says something about her own parents. Normally we only speak about my parents because I noticed that it's something she doesn't like to talk about. I accept that, but just telling me that she wished her parents would still be alive is a huge deal.