1

speak to people in a way that if they died the next day you'd be satisfied with the last thing you said to them

"Please, please don't die. I'm not ready," I sob and hold my mom's hand.

"Don't you dare to die," I whisper.

I hear someone entering the hospital room, but I don't turn around to see who it is. Someone clears their throat.

"Princess Adeena, it's time. You have to let her go."

It's Orson. My mother's advisor. I've known him my whole life and whenever there was a complicated situation he stood by my mother and helped her.

All these years he did his job really well.

"I can't. Maybe she'll get better and wake up," I still have hope, because I don't want to believe that my mother is about to die.

"There is nothing more the doctors can do for her, Princess. Your family has already been here to say their goodbyes and all the doctors are waiting for your agreement to let her go," my mothers advisor explains.

I sigh. I know I have to let her go, but I don't want to, I want to believe that she is going to wake up.

I'm only 16. I'm definitely not ready to lose my mother. I shouldn't have to. If there hadn't been this drunk driver everything would've gone the way it should have been. But that's just an if. A wish.

I slowly nod.

"Turn the machines off," Orson orders. I can't say it out loud.

It feels like I killed my mother because I'm the one deciding if she should be kept alive with life support or if we turn the life support off.

Somewhere inside me I know that it's the right decision to let her go, but that doesn't make it any less hurtful.

A doctor comes inside my mothers hospital room and turns them off and all the beeping stops. Ironically, it's deadly quiet.

"Come on Princess, I'll bring you home," Orson lays a hand on my shoulder.

I give my mother a kiss on her forehead and whisper "Goodbye" with tears rolling down my cheeks. I don't want to leave her. She will be alone.

Orson guides me out of the room and downstairs into the parking garage. His hand is laying on my lower back the whole time like he wants to make sure that I make the way to the car.

"You know how things work, even though we did everything we could to hide the deaths of your parents, there's still paparazzi outside. They don't know that the Queen and the King are dead, but they do know that there was a car accident. Just don't look outside," Orson advises me.

I nod. I've done this a thousand times. Not seeing my parents die and leaving the hospital, but hiding from the paparazzi so they don't know everything before we make it official.

I know it's better for myself if I don't look outside, but I still do.

The moment we leave the underground car park I look outside. I can't really see anything through the darkened windows, but what I can see shocks me. How can people be so cruel? They know there was an accident and they know that the Queen and King were involved. They still don't care. I mean, maybe they do but if they do they care too much. It's cruel. They're all just standing there with their cameras and microphones waiting to get their stories.