Chapter 12

It was a good day today, because there wasn't much work to do. Shehnaaz was relieved after submitting that spreadsheet stuff timely. And now, engrossed in another project with her colleagues she got herself well occupied with work and her new favorite laptop.

Sidharth too had a fine and typical day, client meetings, contract signing and a few site visits.

"Where's Mom and Adi?'' He was home for dinner when he noticed his Mother and nephew missing on the dining table. Ajay was scrolling through his phone, refusing to answer, while Monu(house help) and Preeti were setting the table.

"Maa ji kamre me hai, phone pe baat kar rahi hai aur Adi baba apne dosto sath gaye hai." Monu answered. Sidharth raised his eyebrows at his sister, it looked like something had happened.

"Adved aur Ajay ki behes ho gayi." Preeti sighed, revealing the matter.

"Behes? Palat ke jawab diya usne mujhe, can you believe it Sid?" Ajay exclaimed, angrily.

"Kyu?" Sidharth asked.

"Apne friend ke birthday gift ke liye paise mange the usne, maine apne card use karne k liye diya tha and he spent 12 thousand! And he was okay with it, asking me not to overreact!" Ajay elaborated.

"Mai baat karungi usse, tum aise daantoge toh nahi samjhega." Preeti told her husband.

"Kyu na daantu mai? Bigad raha hai vo." Ajay replied and Preeti stopped serving him dinner in response to that.

"Khana khaoge shanti se ya nahi?" she chided, her impatient husband was blabbering too much since their son left for that party.

Sidharth sat there, being the audience for a while and chuckled when Preeti snapped at her husband.

"Has mat!" Ajay snapped at him, shook his head and focused on his food.

"Aa gaya baccha!" Rita Ji joined them, quickly picking Sidharth's head and taking her seat.

"Ha, kabka aa gaya. Kaha the aap?" he asked her, the kid inside him always longed to his mother as soon as he'd be home.

"Tere Mama ka phone tha, tum sabko bhi puch rahe the." she replied, upturning her plate and letting Monu serve her.

They were having their meal, when the doorbell rang abruptly. Monu opened the door to Adved, who marched across the hall towards his room, ignoring everybody.

"Adi, come here." Preeti called out.

"Baad me daant sun lunga Mom, mai thak gaya hu aaj." Adved replied, irritated.

"Adved, Aise baat karte hai apni Maa se?" Ajay was there to scold. The boy knew his father's tone very well, everytime when Adi changed to Adved, it meant he was angry.

"Sorry Ma!" He quickly apologized and ran up to his room. Rita Ji chose to keep quiet and let them handle it.

"See! I was talking about this." Ajay said, looking at Sidharth.

"I know Ajay, ye behavior sahi nahi hai. Baccha bolte hai lekin 18 saal ka ho chuka hai. But it's the age, I guess, naya naya college join kiya hai usne. You know, hanging out with friends and showing off. Wanting to be prominent and coolest among the rest. Mai baat karta hu usse.." Sidharth said, looking at his tensed brother in law.

"Yeah, talk to him." Ajay nodded off, in his response.

"Oye! So gaya kya?" Sidharth was in Adved's room after dinner.

"Umm-hmm.." came the boy's answer. Adved was lying on his bed under the covers with his face stuffed into the pillow.

"I'm sorry.." he mumbled.