chapter 1

girls & bar

E L E A N O R

"I'll see you girls tomorrow!!" I said waving to my 2 best friends which is being reciprocated. I waited until I could no longer see their figures as we went separate ways. That's my cue to tip toe my way to my part time job.

Part time job ay? I don't think you can guess what my part time job is. Nobody can. I also was indeed too stunned to speak when I got the job.

It's common for a high school girl like me, wanting extra pocket money so here I am, in front of The Henry's Bar.

Yes, I work at a bar apparently. Working here can be quite fun although I have to deal with weird drunk people but they pay me really well.

I make my way into the bar. As usual, I'm being greeted by my colleagues and Henry's here too! "There's our little Elly" "Hey, Elly" "Get yo ass here kid" I give them my signature cheeky smile and make my way to the back to change into my uniform. It's quite concerning whether they are aware that Elly's not my real name.

Thankfully, everyone here is cool because i'm sorry for thinking that everyone who works at bars can be quite odd but but they are not! At this bar, i'm Elly or Little Elly or Kid. We don't know Eleanor Jones.

Here I am at the bar station, drying the glasses. It was hell when I first started learning how to make drinks. It's even worse because I can't drink any. I really have to rely on my instinct and so far, everyone says I make the best drink! While i'm drying the glasses, my mind starts wandering back to how I got myself in this situation.

"Amanda, what are we doing here? We can't drink!" I said while slightly pulling her arm to leave. My other best friend, Scarlett was stoked when Amanda invited her to drink together. "Come onnnn, El. Don't be such a mum! Aren't you curious what they taste like?" Scarlett said wiggling her eyebrows. I sighed, giving in. "Fine, but I'll only watch you both drink. Someone's gotta watch our backs" they cheered and dragged me inside.

They proudly showed their fake ids and managed to attain their drinks. At first they were laughing and you know, being drunk. Next thing I know, they started arguing with each other which caught me off guard. They began pulling each other's hair and suddenly it became a fist fight. I tried stopping them but I got pushed away instead. That's when they threw stuff at each other. Amanda's bag was thrown and it hit a big, expensive vase at the bar.

That's when Henry went to us to see what happened.

"What happened here?! OMG don't you girls have any idea how much this cost?!" Henry was on his knees, trying to gather all the broken pieces. I couldn't help but cry because I felt bad and I should've handled the situation better.

Henry looked at us with eyes filled with rage. He immediately knew we were underage. He wanted to involve the police as well.

I can't let that happen. My reputation will be ruined. Dad's gonna be upset and disappointed. I observed the situation, Henry nags at two drunk teens and an anxious one. I slammed the table, causing the bar went profoundly quiet. "I-I'll take the b-blame" I said tears falling down my cheeks.

"Just leave these two girls, let's settle like grown ups uhm sir"

Henry eventually agrees to only discuss this matter with me. "S-so, what can I do to help you out sir? With all honesty, I don't think my money is sufficient enough to pay off the damage. It'll probably take about 15 years of me working if I ever secure a stable caree-"

Henry puts his hand over my face, telling me to stop talking. "Look, kid. Do you really wanna help us?" I nodded eagerly because someone's gotta be responsible and I am that someone lol okay sure. "This bar is currently short staffed so tomorrow you gotta start working here kid"

I looked at him in disbelief. It was like whatever that just came out from his mouth was stupid. Is he stupid? "I c-can? You do know i'm still 18 right? Do I have to work here until I'm 40? Do I have to serve drinks for the rest of my life?" I said, hands covering my mouth while my eyes started to water again. "Obviously, I know. Well, let's just keep this a secret. You gotta make sure nobody at school knows about this. And no, you only work here when we have enough staff which is something I'll try to solve it asap" "It's a deal! thank you so much sir for not involving the police" I hold out my hand and Henry shakes it.

I slightly smiled at that memory. Henry still jokes around about calling the police. I always laugh it off although only God knows how terrified I am whenever he cracks police-related jokes. As for Amanda and Scarlett, they have no idea what happened at the bar and of course they don't know I also work there. I don't think I'm ever mad at them about it because I was the one who wanted to take the responsibility. My thought was interrupted by the bell at the door.

"Welcome to Henry's Bar!" I said putting on my usual smile.