Chapter 2 Atlantis

Chapter 2

As I slowly regained my consciousness the very first thing that popped into my mind is am I dead?

I could not feel, hear, or see anything. It was like my whole body was numb. I could not open my eyes or move my body, but my ears were ringing.

I remember the moment that the plane hit the surface of the water and the passengers erupted into chaos. Voices rose in curses and screams of panic. Mothers pulling their kids closer to them as the fathers place their protective arms to their family. I remember us descending deeper into the ocean. My chest tightening at the pressure from the depth. The metals folding like a tin can as we descended deeper. I remember my head being squeezed harder and harder until I finally lost consciousness.

The ringing finally stopped as I started to hear hushed voices. I was starting to get my hearings back.

"..........be certain." My ears were ringing.Someone was talking and I don't know who. My hearing was still a little weak so I could not point out if it is a girl or a boy.

"I am. Atlas's stone was glowing brighter than the others. It is not a mistake." Said another voice.

"...haver never seen a surface dweller with that much concentration."

My other senses were starting to come back. My sense of smell came next. A putrid smell entered my nostrils. It was the stench of blood. And it was strong.

My body began to stir at the unwanted smell that was suffocating me. I started to cough. I was aching all over my body as if I were covered in bruises.

"She's waking up."

I started to open my eyes and wish I hadn't. What I saw before me was a nightmare. The plane's surface was like a wrinkled aluminum foil, lights dangled and flickered like those in horror movies, tv and speaker's crashed and cracked on the floor, wires hanged from the ceiling like jungle vines.

But that was not the worse of it.

Along the walls were splatters of blood and - dare I say it - guts and things that makes a human. Their heads were crushed like cans, their chest pressed tightly to their rib cage so tightly you can see the bones poking out. You can hear their moans of anguish and chokes as life was taken away from them.

My hands flew to my mouth to cover my nose. I tried to lean down but was held back because of the seat belt. My fingers fumbled over the belt blindly as I tried to locate the release button. My breath quickened the longer I fumbled with the belt. I feel like drowning.

Bile rose up from my throat and I lean down again to throw up.

I wiped my mouth and then started to check up on myself. Arms, legs, body, and my head was covered in sprays of blood that I was sure wasn't mine, but I was alright save for some bruises and a few scratches. I still have my body and it doesn't seem crumpled like the other unfortunate passengers. Guilt started to wash over me at the sudden sensation of relief at being alive and not ending up like the others.

A faint whimper at my side made me look up. Rachel sat beside me, she too was alive and not looking like a prune. I saw her hands fly to her belly and she began to sob harder and harder until I realize something; the bump on her belly was gone and blood was oozing between her legs.

In that moment, I momentarily forgot my disgust and nausea as I reached out for her as much as I could with trembling arms. "R-Rachel?" My voice was in a hushed whisper.

Rachel turned her head to me. Her face smeared with blood as she cries. "I-I can't feel him. I can feel him anymore..." She said in between sobs and then she started to weep again.