Chapter 3

Remus did not sense the tension between Michelle and his boyfriend. He just peacefully looked at his note.

Dorian, it said, along with a small smiley face scribbled on a corner.

His eyes naturally raised, looking at Dorian. He was content with the name, as he knew exactly what to get his boyfriend.

Dorian, however, relaxed his shoulders down, and the immediate thought that came in Remus's mind was that he felt dissapointment. Maybe he had gotten someone whom he despised, such as their classmate, ACD.

He raised his hand, lightly touching his boyfriend's. His arm was warm compared to his palm and he was worried it would bother him for a slight second.

"You okay, Do?" he questioned, unconsciously tilting his head in confusion. "Did you get someone you don't like?"

Dorian smirked slightly and responded: "You know I can't tell you that, Remus. It's supposed to be secret santa."

That taunting look he had in his eyes, playful and intriguing- Remus could do that too. He gave him his signature stare, directing a false anger at his boyfriend.

Dorian rolled his eyes and looked away, which Remus found both annoying and attractive. Curls hung from his hairline, covering his forehead like wavy curtains. He loved that guy, couldn't believe he was dating him. It was something recent, official for only a couple of weeks. How had they met?

Remus remembered Do being his friend since forever. They had been classmates in elementary school, secondary school and when they finally started high school, Remus came to accept the feelings he had for him, feelings deeper than the friendship they already shared.

It started in seventh grade, with cold hugs taken as jokes and hand-holding meant to make others laugh. They spent time together, people called them "lovers", but it felt like a prank.

Remus, however, found it irritating that others took his completely real feelings as something comedic, attention-attracting, so he asked him out in November, and Dorian realised he also had feelings for him. He accepted.

Remus felt the nostalgia getting a hold of him, so he directed his consciousness to his partner. He observed he was staring at someone and followed his gaze. It led to Michelle, their new classmate.

Michelle had a pleasant face. It wasn't necessarily handsome or good-looking, simply pleasant.
He had natural red cheeks, a round, smooth face and lots of dark freckles. His hair was shoulder-length and his eyes emanated an intuitive energy, but Remus couldn't see that, as he was completely energy-blind.

Unlike Michelle, he couldn't read people just by looking at their eyes or tell what type of person they were from their subtle movements. That was the thing about Michelle- he was observant. His creativity wasn't limited to exquisite projects, it ran deeper, like the roots of the tree. Some stay out above the soil, some are dug deep below, invisible to the regular eye.

Yet Remus did not know that. He was currently in the same state as Dorian. They both barely knew anything about Michelle. They both felt an urge to change that, and Michelle could say the same about them. What they would do with that impulse was entirely their choice.