02 : Coffee and the First

"Beomgyu has appointed a what now?" Ryujin abruptly stops sipping her coffee, eyes wide

"A tutor." Lia says, pulling the gear of her car. "My brother has hired a fucking tutor."

Ryujin is sitting on the passenger seat while the other is driving. Lia, being three years older than her and Beomgyu, has a licence.

"I don't get while he wants to work his ass off for - maths?" She says, both her hands now on the steering wheel.

"I know r-right? So strange." The blond lies. She knows the answer. And it doesn't fail to make her a teeny bit flustered in her seat.

She wants to tell Lia about it, given that they're really good friends. But she's unsure, haven't really recovered from the shock herself. Even if it's been five days already.

Her mind wanders off to why Beomgyu decided to do that. He could've chosen anything - anything in this world but he chose that. There must be a reason.

But what if there's none? What if it's just him being him? Ryujin doesn't kn-

"Are you even listening?" Lia snaps her out of her thoughts. She blinks a few times before humming.

"So I was saying, I returned two days ago from Seoul and I see an unknown man in our house?" She continues and Ryujin attentively listens, both the girls' eyes focused on the road. "I asked dad about him and he said he teaches Beomgyu maths!"

The younger sees a small snowman on the side of the street and smiles a little, continues to sip the coffee.

"Dad told me that he has decided to do 'hardwork' for his exams? Unbelievable." Lia mutters. "Although, I'm kinda happy he has realised the significance of studies."

Significance my ass. Ryujin makes a tch sound. "Enough of him now. Tell me about your girlfriend."

She doesn't know why she decided to switch the topic. But thinks it was a good idea when she turns to see the older's flushed face.

"Yeji is okay." Lia starts. "Was sad about me leaving her alone but I told her it's just for a week."

Ryujin laughs at that, remembers how the other shifted to the capital with her girlfriend two years back. She crumples the paper cup after finishing her coffee.

"Seoul to Daegu is just a three hour run, I wouldn't be surprised if she shows up at my house someday in this week." Lia changes to the lowest gear and presses the brakes. The car stops in the garage of her house.

Ryujin giggles and gets out first, helps her with taking the shopping bags inside. They now regret buying the huge load because it's a pain to carry.

"I'll arrange these," Lia says, looking at the bags that are now scattered on her bed. "Beomgyu is upstairs."

"I didn't ask but thank you, your highness." The blond bows dramatically, makes both of them laugh before leaving the room and heading upstairs.

She feels a strange surge of excitement with every step she takes to reach his room. Doesn't know why.

"I told you not to interrupt me, noona."

She is met with his annoyed voice as soon as she knocks on the already open door. "Didn't you go to the mall?"

"Came back." Beomgyu's head snaps to the door as he hears her honey-dipped voice. She is leaning on the door with her arms crossed and a goofy smile on her face.

"You?" He says, brows knitted together. "What are you doing here?"

"Lia eonnie told me you're serious about the test, so I just came here to check it myself." She walks over to the dustbin and throws her crumpled cup inside.

He leans back on his chair and cracks his knuckles. "Really?"

Ryujin comes to the table, jumping and sitting on the ledge of it, above his eye level.

"What are your reports then?" He asks with a laugh, all attention to her.

She glances at his appearance; rolled up sweater, scarf tied on his head, fluffy muffler around his neck. And the books scattered around the messy room. Maths books.

"According to my reports, you're really working hard for that exam-" the blond stops, looks in his eyes to find any hesitation, but continues when there's none. "-or should I say, the kiss?"

"Why wouldn't I?" He tilts his head with a sly smile. "It's gonna be my first."

"Wait-! You've never kissed before?!" She stares at him in a little disbelief.

It's unbelievable for her to grab the fact that someone as good looking as him haven't had his first kiss but let's not go there.

He shakes his head. "You're my best friend, if I kissed someone you'll be the first person to know."

Ryujin hums, drags the 'm'. She can't deny it, the silence is a bit awkward, but not too much. It's moments like these that make her think if he feels the same.

"Who was your first though?" He asks after a while, taking up the initiative to break that silence. Something inside him surely urged to ask this.

The blond feels like a rush of memories in her mind at that. Is this what people call nostalgia?

"Chaeryeong." She smiles at the remembrance of her childhood. "We were in fourth grade and had just watched Titanic, so we decided to try it out. And it was a funny experience-"

Beomgyu raises his brows playfully, giving her a questioning look, "Fourth grade?"

She hits his shoulder and they both end up laughing. "Yeah, was really a kid that time, didn't know that I should've saved my lip virginity for someone exceptional."

It's him who hums now. They've been friends for six years, knowing almost everything about each other.

He knows about her past relationships - most of which didn't really end well. He was always there for her after those heart-wrenching breakups.

"First kiss seems like a special thing for me.. I know I sound like those small girls who believe in fairytales but, I really think it's special."

Beomgyu says, doesn't know why he decided to say that. But it was better than sitting idle.

Ryujin doesn't mind these info-dumps. Everyday they get to know something new about each other and she thinks it's beautiful.

"Aww," She goes soft at that. It feels strange - them going soft for each other since the past few days.

They both blame it on maths.

Something inside her irks, wants to ask athe question that's on the tip of her tongue. And before she knows, it has already slipped out of her lips.

"If it's that much of a magic moment, then why do you wanna waste it on a bet and that too with me?"

this book was originally
a one shot. but then my
ass decided to make it a
book. so, sorry if the
story feels short & rushed
to you (。•́︿•̀。)