Chapter 4

HE DIDN'T KNOW WHERE he was going, and he didn't care, either. All that mattered was getting away, far away from this place he had once called home. The memory of Will's anger was still vivid in his mind, and so were the voices ringing in his ear.

Liar.

You killed her.

It's your fault.

Will's parents are dead because of you.

You should have died instead of them.

I hate you!

He flinched at the last words. It had been all but said, but they may as well have been. Will had every right to hate him, to despise him for what he'd caused. Without him, the boy wouldn't be an orphan. He'd have a loving family, people who could care for him, people who hadn't deserved to die.

It's your fault.

It was his fault.

###

"ARE YOU SURE THIS is a good idea?"

Korren smirked, waving a hand in dismissal. "Look at him; he's pitiful. That shaggy horse of his is nothing." He wasn't normally one to challenge a Ranger, but this one...his lip curled in a sneer. "I'll kill him."

He remembered those last few minutes. His son hadn't even been twenty, and the boy had died in his arms.

By this Ranger.

"You won't get close enough before he shoots you," the man beside him grumbled. "You're going to get us all killed."

Korren smiled. He flipped the dagger out of the sheath, twirling it in his hands. "Trust me," he said confidently. "I won't need to get close. Just stay downwind of the horse, and you won't get caught."

"So he gets a quick death?"

He snorted. "What do you think I am, an imbecile? Of course not. A quick hit to the leg won't kill him. We get him out of there, and I'll have all the time in the world to make him pay."