Chapter 6

THE DOOR OPENED. HALT sprang to his feet, his heart in his throat. The healer held up a placating hand. "He's going to be fine," he said. "A few days' rest and he'll be able to go home."

"Thank you," Halt whispered, shoulders sagging. "Thank you."

The healer smiled at him. "It's not a problem, Ranger." He gestured towards the door. "You can stay with him if you like. He's asleep right now, so don't expect any conversation."

Halt nodded, stumbling through the door. Will was lying on the bed, eyes closed, his breathing now deep and even. He dropped in the chair beside the bed, lowering his head. He couldn't stop the tears from coming this time.

"I'm sorry," he choked. "I'm so sorry. It should have been me. It's my fault, Will. Can you ever forgive me?"

"My wife and the baby. Promise me you'll..." He coughed and blood rolled down his chin.

"I'll look out for them," Halt told him. "But don't worry. You'll be fine. You'll see them soon."

Lies. They were lies, and Daniel had known it. Halt hadn't been able to save him. Daniel had died saving him instead.

"Promise me," she said, and he placed his other hand over hers.

"I promise."

Lies again. She had died, because he hadn't been able to save her. She had died because of him

It's your fault.

And Will...Will had almost died saving him. He'd almost broken his promise to both Daniel and the woman. He'd almost let their son die because of him, because of his own foolish actions.

It's your fault.

###

HE DIDN'T KNOW HOW long he'd been lying there. The first thing he was aware of was the dull and ache in his side, throbbing painfully. His eyelids felt like lead, and it took every ounce of strength within him to not slip away.

Forcing his eyes open, he took in a breath. The pain intensified and he grunted, clenching the bed sheets tight. There was a faint movement from the corner of his eyes, and he looked over.

"You're awake." Halt was watching him, relief shining bright in his eyes. "Oh God..."

"Hey, Halt." He tried to grin, but the pain in his side turned it to a grimace. "Nice to see...a familiar face."

"How are you feeling?"

Will let out a breath. "Terrible," he managed. "But I'm alive." Halt nodded, looking away. I trusted you! Why did you lie to me? The words flashed in his mind and he winced at the memory.

"Halt..." He struggled to rise. His vision went black as the pain flared again, and he leaned his head against the wall, closing his eyes. A wave of nausea passed over him and he pursed his lips shut. Everything around him spun.

"...alright? Will?" He opened his eyes. Through blurry vision, he could see his mentor's face, lined with concern. "Will? Can you hear me?"

"I hear you." He sighed, blinking. "I'm okay." He looked at the older man. "Halt, please look at me." After a moment's hesitation, the older man met his gaze. "Listen to me, Halt. This is not your fault. I don't blame you for this, and I don't blame you for what happened."

"They died because of me."

Will shook his head. "They chose to save you. It was their own choice, not yours. I shouldn't have said what I did, and I don't blame you. It isn't your fault."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because it was their choice." Will reached out, gripping the older man's hand. "Don't blame yourself, Halt. Please." He tightened his hood. "Even if I could, I wouldn't trade what I have now in an instant."

Halt looked up at him. Will was surprised to see the tears gleaming in his eyes. "I'm sorry," the Ranger whispered.

Will shook his head. His eyes were burning as well, and he managed a smile. "It's okay, Halt."

###

"YOU'RE SURE YOU'RE READY?" Will smiled as he heaved himself up on the shaggy horse, looking over at his former mentor.

"I'm fine. See?" He spread out his arms, ignoring the twinge in his side. Halt looked unconvinced, but nodded, flicking Abelard's reins.

There was a silence between the two, but this time, it was a comfortable one. Will patted Tug's mane, the smile still on his lips. It was a beautiful day; the sun was shining, and there were no signs of clouds within the bright blue of the sky.

"Halt," he said after a moment. "I've been thinking..."

"Always a dangerous pastime," came the reply. He rolled his eyes dramatically.

"Yes, yes, of course." His smile faded as he collected his thoughts together, straightening in the saddle. "What happened afterwards?"

The older man looked at him. "What?"

Will scratched the back of his head. "Ah..." He cleared his throat. "You never got to finish," he said at last. "I...I didn't really let you."

"Oh."

He waited a moment longer, and then looked over. "How did I come to Redmont? Did you take me there?"

Halt looked ahead, avoiding his gaze. "Yes," he finally said. "It was the only place I knew to take you. I made sure no one saw me, and Baron Arald and Pauline were the only ones who knew. Crowley suspected it, but I never confirmed it for him."

Will nodded. The memories of the Ward danced in his mind. Running from Horace, talking with Alyss and George, attempting to learn cooking from Jenny, and then now, becoming a Ranger, making a family of his own...he couldn't help but smile.

And then comparing it to the life he could have had, it shined much brighter. He never would have met Alyss. Horace never would have been his best friend. He never would have met Evanlyn, or Gilan, or Jenny and George, and the rest of the Rangers.

And he never would have known Halt. The thought alone was one that left him cold and empty. Halt had been there for most of his life, comforting him when he needed it, advising him from time to time, teaching him all he'd ever known.

And seeing the two, side by side, he knew he would never choose differently.

"What are you smiling about?" Halt's gruff voice interrupted his thoughts. He looked over at the older man.

"Everything, I suppose," he replied. "I meant what I said, Halt. I wouldn't choose any differently, with the way things are now." He smirked now. "Besides, without me, you wouldn't have anyone else to ask you a dozen questions a day."

Halt raised an eyebrow at him, but the corners of his lips were twitching. "I suppose that's true," he said.

And they rode on, back to Redmont.

A/N: This was an idea I had a while back, I worked on it, abandoned it, and then worked on it again. I seriously debated killing Will but decided I didn't have the mental capacity to do that. Hope y'all enjoyed it!