7

•~Grace's P.O.V~•
A month passed, and things with Jeremy just got worse. There were no words anymore. Just hitting. He wanted to go home so badly, and I told him to do so. He just wouldn't leave without me.

I drove home from the store, and I thought that leaving Chloe at home would be okay.

God was I a fucking idiot.

I walked inside and immediately dropped the bags, Jeremy had his hand raised and Chloe held her hands up in defense. I pulled his arm down and he noticed I was there.

"You gotta control your goddamn kid Grace." I picked her up and examined her face. She was okay. Just shocked.

"What the hell is wrong with you?! She's four!" I cried as I went up the steps and into Chloe's room. I got a small suitcase and put in a pair of pajamas, a pair of morning clothes, her underwear and socks, and her blanket. I put a stack of cash in it too. I ran down the steps and loaded her into the car.

"Where the hell do you think you're going?" I was too shaken to drive.

"I need you to drive me to the Curtis House. I'm taking Chloe to Soda." He climbed into the driver's seat and the air was thick with anger.

As he pulled up to the house with chipping white paint, Chloe started to smile. I got out of the car and got Chloe out with her suitcase.

"Your gonna stay here with Soda okay babydoll?" She nodded. I prayed she wouldn't say anything about Jeremy. I picked her up and knocked on the door.

I thought, maybe this would be the last time I ever saw Soda or Chloe or Two-Bit. My eyes welled with tears. I didn't want this to be the last time. I still had so much to do and say.

"Grace, what's wrong?" Soda asked as he stood in the doorway. "Come in." I shook my head.

"I can't." He looked at me, please don't say a word. "Can Chloe stay with you for tonight?" Soda nodded, and she practically ran to him.

"Grace what's going on?" I glanced at the car where Jeremy was fidgeting. 

"Nothing, Jeremy has some business to do. Chloe hasn't seen you guys in a few days so I thought she could stay here." I lied. Soda stared at me. I could tell he was analyzing me. "I'll see you tomorrow morning." I quickly ran down the steps and into the passenger seat.

I love you all

I started to cry, Jeremy didn't care. I knew what was awaiting me at home. Or did I? Maybe I was overreacting. No. I wasn't. No matter how much I fought with myself, I knew what was going to happen.

Home came way too quickly and as I got out of the car, Jeremy grabbed my wrist and dragged me inside.

"Why the hell would you speak to me like that?!" A vein popped out of his head, I'd never seen him this furious.

I felt a stinging on my cheek.

"What? Can you not speak anymore?!" He threw me to the ground and I was kicked in the stomach. I felt like I was going to throw up. He kicked me again, harder this time.

"Where's your superhero now?!" Again, another kick. Then another, and another. Until he kicked my head. My vision was spotted with black and I wondered if I was going to die and Jeremy would get Chloe. I felt something rushing up my throat. It tastes like copper. Not vomit. Something hard hit my face and I heard a crunch from my nose.

I screamed. I wanted to bawl, I wanted to die. I wanted Soda. I swear, I heard his voice.

•~Soda's P.O.V~•
Chloe showed us her house and when I went inside, my heart shattered. Jeremy was standing over her, like some psycho. Darry ran inside and pulled him off.

"Two-Bit call the police! Steve and Ponyboy keep Chloe out!" I sprinted over to Grace. "Soda don't touch her." I grabbed her hand. Blood poured from the corners of her mouth.

"Soda.." She mumbled. Tears poured from her eyes.

"I-I'm here Grace." I started to sob too. I never did cry in front of any of them. Goddamn, it Grace. Why didn't you tell me? I was angry with myself for not telling Darry I suspected anything. I held her hand to my lips.

"We're here, we need you to move right away!" I did so and I walked out with them, and Ponyboy stood in astonishment holding Chloe.

"Mommy!" Chloe yelled. If Grace died, I'd die too.
________________________________
Word Count:790