Chapter 24

Proceeding an awkward loop of introductions and continued shock over the truth of living dragons, an additional two hours of Hiccup, who attempted to recollect his life to the the interrogating aunts, burdened the royal duo to the extent of unpleasant sweats and headaches. While being chauffeured back to Dunbroch, they sat within the shifty wagon, along with the Queen's sisters and a toddler-aged cousin of Merida's. And although the Chief was grateful for the shade beneath the ride's cover, his wish to join the over-worked men outside grew exponentially with every sharp quip and pointed question that the aunts would push on him. Merida was his savior for most of the comments, but sometimes they found a way to loop back around to the passive aggressive lines, which, if stated bluntly, would cry: 'we do not trust Vikings or dragons.' Understandable but unfair.

By the end of his story, which had been edited mostly by the aunts, Hiccup was exhausted and humiliated. Not since he was a young teenager had he received that amount of ridicule. So wishing to escape the toxic, female torture, he made up his mind to leave the comforts of the wagon.

That was until he heard the next sentence stated by the thin woman:

"That story sounds as whimsy as Meri's!"

Merida winced, interjecting, "Aunt Sorcha, please! Don't bring up me past!" Her request for concealment is what changed Hiccup's mind altogether to remain seated.

"No, no. Tell me, Princess. What's so 'whimsy' about your story?" the Chief implored, using his fingers to form quotation marks in the air.

"She hasn't told you! Oh, Meri!" scolded the heavy sister, placing her hand over her chest, "How is that fair not to tell yer suiter of The Cause?" Hiccup smirked at the retort.

"Yeah, how is that fair, Meri?" he added, elbowing her arm playfully. Merida covered her face with the frilled ends of her braid and groaned.

The thin aunt rolled her eyes at the sight, and threatened, saying, "Well, if ye won't tell him, than we shall do yer duty for ya!" She then turned her full attention to the Viking. "She be not a single week older than sixteen when she thought she knew better than the Queen. Spoiled child!"

"A whole gathering just for her! Cakes, dancing, and the games for the boys- everything a young lass could hope fer," the heavier aunt accompanied the tale. Still, the Princess continued to hide behind her curls, biting them in dismay.

"The three suitors were introduced as the gentlemen warriors they were- such good lads. Yet she took no liking nor courtesy toward them, and she decided archery be the best way to humiliate those poor boys."

"We placed bets, we did! I lost ten shillings that day because of her. Never saw them again."

"Even against the pleas of the Queen herself, Meri interrupted the tournament as a suitor of Dunbroch. Said she was 'shooting fer her own hand'."

"A perfect arrow shot at each target. And the final one went straight through Dingwall's!"

"Of course, ya know our sister did try to set her straight, for a civil war was at stake due to her daughter's insanity. However, things took a turn fer the worst when..."

The heavier woman hollered, exclaiming, "A BEAR was spotted in the castle!" Her arms flew above her head in exaggeration.

With widened eyes- due to both the story and the aunt's physical display- Hiccup shot the Princess a look in need of confirmation.

Merida grumbled, stating, "No, Hiccup. I didn't bring a bear into the castle." Then, to her horror, her cousin stood from her seat with a finger pointed in her direction.

"But she turned her mum into a bear!" the child tattled, smiling with mischief.

"Silence, Emily! Or I'll turn you into a bear too," Merida retorted, baring her teeth.