☆3☆

31st July 1981

31st July 1981

"James! Could you get the door darling?" I asked my husband as I was finishing the frosting for the birthday cake.

"I got you flower!" The playful voice of James rang back.

I finished the frosting and went upstairs to wake up Harry, who was currently sleeping.

I quickly went upstairs and slowly opened Harry's room where I saw a little toddler, sitting in his crib yawning m

"Well, look who's finally awake!" I gave out a small laugh.

"Mama!" Harry giggled.

"Come on Harry, we have a little surprise for the birthday boy!" I exclaimed as Harry raised his hand gesturing me to carry him.

I carried Harry downstairs and heard some chatter.

"Bathilda!" I exclaimed

"Best of evenings to you Lily" Bathilda Bagshot said smiling.

"Now show me the birthday boy" she asked politely.

But before I could, an owl came zooming in carrying a parcel with it. I immediately recognised it to be Sirius's owl.

"Look Harry! Sirius has got you present" James said taking Harry over while I was opening the parcel.

I gasped. It was a toy broomstick. James's face lit up as he slowly seated Harry in it. Bad idea.

As soon as Harry say on it, he immediately zoomed off around the house.

My eyes widened.

"Harry, no! Don't break that-" My sentence was broken just like the vase that Harry just broke. I turned around to see James practically rolling on the floor laughing muttering 'he is definitely going to be a quidditch player'

"James it's not funny! It's the vase that petunia got me for Christmas!" I said exasperated.

"Come on flower! You and I, both know that vase looks horrendous!" He said laughing.

"James, stop him, he's about to kill our cat!" I said carrying the cat out of the living room.

"Alright, that's it! James pack up all the ornaments" I said in a stern voice as James pouted.

***

The evening was rather quiet, only the sound of Bathilda's voice penetrating through. It was quite fascinating how much she knew about Dumbledore.

"Alright Lily, I have to get home. Thank you for having me here tonight"

"Of course! No worries" I gushed.

"Well then, I will be off" she said getting up, ready to leave.

***

After Bathilda left, I entered our room to see James and Harry sleeping . I smiled. Just before I went to join them, I remembered to write a letter to Sirius. I quickly took a parchment and a quill and started writing.

Dear Padfoot,

Thank you, thank you, for Harry's birthday present! It was his favourite by far. One year old and already zooming along on a toy broomstick. he looked so pleased with himself, I'm enclosing a picture so you can see. You know it only rises about two feet off the ground, but he nearly killed the cat and he smashed a horrible vase Petunia sent me for Christmas (no complaints there).ofcourse,James thought it was funny, says he's going to be a great Quidditch player, but we've had to pack away all the ornaments and make sure we don't take our eyes off him when he gets going.We had a very quiet birthday tea, just us and old Bathilda who has always been sweet to us, and who dotes on Harry. We were so sorry you couldn't come, but the Order's got to come first, and Harry's not old enough to know it's his birthday anyway! James is getting a bit frustrated shut up here, he tries not to show it but I can tell also, Dumbledore's still got his Invisibility cloak, so no chance of little excursions. If you could visit, it would cheer him up so much. Wormy was here last weekend, I thought he seemed down, but that was probably the news about the Mc Kinnons, I cried all evening when I heard. Bathilda drops in most days, she's a fascinating old thing with the most amazing stories about Dumbledore, I'm not sure he'd be pleased if he knew! I don't know how much to believe, actually, because it seems incredible that Dumbledore could ever have been friends with Gellert Grindelwald. I think her mind's going, personally!
Lots of love,
Lily

Lily proof read the letter a few times before sending it.

But at that time neither Lily nor Sirius knew that it would be the last letter she sent to him.