☆7☆

She knows

She knows.

She knows.

She knows.

His mind screamed at him over and over again as she walked his way from the opposite end of the Great Lake. There was a hard look on her face, the same one that made her nose crinkle. He deserved whatever was coming for him, he knew that, but he was impressed with how fast she found out.

Nothing ever stayed a secret very long at school.

He had finally convinced her to be his friend, and he’d ruined that in less than a year. Sometimes he hated himself, this was one of those very rare instances. She marched right up to him and then stopped, her toes almost touching his. The glint in her green eyes was mesmerizing.

”Hey!” He opened with a sunny one-liner, hoping to sway the conversation in his favor, but she wasted no time with her interjection.

“I know.”

Fuck.

The little sirens in his head were so loud that he momentarily lost all ability to hear. Instead, all he heard was a rush of explicative words as his face stayed frozen in the same expression. He was literally understanding the muggle expression ‘a deer in the headlights’.

He’s only seventeen, she had to understand that. He was stupid, reckless, and he never learned to think before he opened his damn mouth. She doesn’t seem to be open to his excuses though, based on the way she was currently staring him down.

James swallowed thickly before he managed a half-hearted, “alright, Evans?”

The corners of her mouth flickered upward before she responded conversationally, “avoiding the prompt, Potter?”

“What prompt?”

“I know what happened at the party.” She looked ready to go to war with him. “Marlene told me everything.”

He tried to look suave by sticking his hands into his pockets. “I think you might have the wrong guy.”

“You are the one who told the entire Gryffindor common room that you’re in love with me, right?” Her arms crossed and James was ready to face Lily’s well known witty attitude.

Beside James, his best mate mistakenly spoke up, “I just want to say that I was there, and James never said he loved you, per say. He specifically said, ‘I’m so obsessed with Lily and she doesn’t understand’ so make sure you don’t confuse that for a love proclamation.”

“Was that before or after he said that he loved my ‘lyrical smile and emerald eyes’?”

“Before.” Sirius confirmed happily.

James vehemently shot Sirius a look. “I think she knows.”

Sirius shrugged, not able to hide the sparkle in his grey eyes. “Just making sure communication is clear.”

Lily’s green eyes flirted back to James. “Well, you know what has to happen now?”

“Uh,” James said stupidly, “apologize profusely and swear to never drink two firewhiskey shots in a row?”

“No,” her lips finally contorted into a recognizable smile,”you should ask me out.”

“I should?” James scratched his head.

Sirius was also taken aback based on his echoing, “he should?”

“Yes.” Her smile was blinding, it was so wide. “After all, you need to lock down Hogsmede dates as soon as possible. The good ones never wait.”

James ran his fingers through his hair, tugging at the strands. “What?”

“Shall I make it clearer?” Lily tilted her head and stepped into James, grabbing his arm.

“How?” His imagination quickly warped a fast play-by-play of Lily kissing him right there in front of every.

Instead, Lily winked. “I could draw you up some plans for a date.”

“I’ve seen your stick figures Evans.” Sirius was interjecting himself into the conversation as if it was a topic of the weather and not Lily Evans proclaiming she fancied James Potter. “He’d need something a little clearer.”

Lily huffed and rolled her eyes into her head before glaring over James’ shoulder at his best friend. “Could you let me flirt in peace?”

“Oh,” Sirius promised, “I will never give you peace if you start to date him.”

James meanwhile sputtered hopelessly, “ flirt ?”

Lily looked back to James with a shared puzzled expression, “James, I want you to ask me out.”

“I’m sorry could you repeat that please?” James asked weakly.

“Bless my soul.” Lily placed a hand on her forehead, “how do I make this any more obvious?”

Sirius offered, “he’s just in shock, give him a second to catch up.”

”I don’t have all day.”

”It should only take about four hours.”

Lily pinched James’ arm, making James jump. Everyone close enough was watching and waiting to see what the outcome would be. Marlene McKinnon was passing a handful of money to a gloating Elaine Levins behind Lily, as if a bet had been made.

“Alright, well it looks like he’s gonna be in a shock for a while.” Lily patted James’ arm. “Meet me at the clock tower tomorrow morning for Hogsmeade. Nod if you understand.”

He was dazed, confused, but utterly thrilled. He managed a nod of his head, which must’ve been enough for Lily because she leaned onto her tiptoes and kissed his cheek before walking back to her friends.

“What was that?” James asked Sirius once he lost sight of Lily’s red hair.

“Reading between the lines mate,” Siris clapped him on the back, “I think she knows that you still fancy her.”

                                              ***

Disclaimer! Not mine. I found it on Ao3 by petalstofish.