Prologue

Beyond the gleaming sun are blooming flowers whose scent is carried by the zesty air. There are a lot of them. Some were nose-pleasing. Some were eye-catchers. Some were both.

But at every viewpoint, there would always be a senses' favorite. . . A flower that automatically prompts your mouth to utter words reflecting distinction while your sight is instinctively captivated, and your nose is filled with its enchanting smell that compels your hand to pick it up, despite its flaws and imperfections.

When that flower is finally grasped by your hand, your mind can't think of anything but embracing and protecting it. You'd nurture every part of it, believing its existence is conspired by your being, and that every part of you is bound to be connected to it for pleasingly perplexing reasons.

No matter how carefully you tend to that flower, over time, its leaves will naturally wither, roots will become soggy and brown, it will retain water, and devastating circumstances will persist until it stops blooming.

You already know it's hopeless, but in the face of hopelessness, there will always be what-ifs. What if the flower simply requires more water or light?

You water the flower again and let it rest in the rays of the sun. You waited and waited, only to realize that the flower would never bloom again, causing you even more distress. . .

That the presence you always adored had already vanished, leaving behind only a piece of dried petal as well as its dried tears--the tears of flower.