5: Apologies

Ashton was waiting outside of the school, looking anxious and apologetic when Luna rode up. Luna hugged him tightly around his middle and rested her head against his chest. 

"You don't have to apologize to me, Ash," Luna told him when he opened his mouth—no doubt to utter an apology. She always planned to let him apologize to her when he acted like that, but she always ended up forgiving him before he did. She was trying to break that habit, but she hated seeing other people upset or regretful.

"I do, though. I'm sorry for getting angry. I never mean to, I just . . ."

Luna interjected with a smile, trying to be silly instead of continuing the conversation. "No excuses, young man," she joked, remembering when the principal has said the same thing to Ashton when he had shown up late. Most people could have gotten away with it, but Ashton had used the excuse that he had to give his goldfish a proper burial. Luna knew he had just been walking his little sister to her school and had gotten held up. She still wasn't sure why he preferred to make a joke than to admit how much he adored his sister. Luna did not see a problem with loving someone so much, but Ashton seemed to.

Ashton laughed the laugh that Luna loved. "Hey, I really am sorry. And now I can't help but want to know what's going on in that building. I know you're planning something Luna. I'll help in whatever way I can."

Luna smiled up at him, happy to have Ashton by her side. It felt great to know she had someone to count on when her family seemed to be drifting further and further away. She thought she was going to lose him too, but now she was sure she would have Ashton when she had no one else. 

Venturing into the cafeteria to find Leona, Luna was satisfied with the comfortable silence between them.

* * *

In her tutoring session first hour, Luna was struggling to stay awake. Maybe she did not appear utterly exhausted, as she had covered her puffy under eyes with makeup, but her pounding headache and lack of sleep were making it very difficult to keep her eyes open. 

"Am I boring you, Luna?" Edward asked. "You were so very curious about this topic yesterday, if I remember correctly." Luna was supposed to be working on the review for a test on the history of Reform. 

Luna hated when her curiosity backfired right in her face. And today, she was in a particularly awful mood, so a surprise test wasn't really on her wish list.

She glared at her tutor out of the corner of her eye. He returned her glare with an imitation of the innocent smile she had given him the previous day. 

Luna groaned and returned to her work, trying to recall the names of all three founders. 

"Was one of them John?" she asked. 

"Nope," Edward replied without looking up from his phone. "Just tell me when you finish guessing so I can grade it." He told her.

"Why are you torturing me? Is this my punishment for driving my last tutor insane? I thought the school board was over that. I didn't know they were still plotting against me with evil men and pop quizzes."

Edward chuckled. "You really drove them insane?" He was playing a game on his phone. The familiar sound effects were only conducive to the headache she had acquired.

Luna smirked. "So, they didn't tell you about the huge assignment you've taken on? I've been through four tutors already this year. It's a record."

Edward shook his head, amused. "If you think you can make me afraid, you've got it all wrong, Luna. Get on with your review. This test is likely going to be the easiest quiz you'll ever get from me."