001

-2008-
He turned on the recorder. " alright. Please state your full name sir."

An older man spoke. "Hammond, Nicholas Hammond sir."

"Excellent." The other said, Voice cutting in and out over the speakers. "Can you tell us everything you know about the recent murder of Thanya Mills?"

" I better start from the beginning... ah... I-It was a little while after dinner, maybe around 6:45 or so...and as you know, my house connects to a forest out back, and... I know this wonderful spot, a nice field that I like to go to sometimes at night..."

"Why?"

" The fire flies. Hundreds. They all fly out into the tall grass little lightning bugs everywhere, specially during this lovely season. I...I think I was about halfway through the trail when I heard this..." the older one paused.

"What? What did you hear?"

The man began to shake. " I heard this violent, guttural, primal scream, the voice was low, yeah high... and it felt... distorted. Like I was listening to it through a radio. But... that's not even the weirdest part." The older's hands were quaking.

"...go on."

"It sounded... more info. Not in a 'oh no my gerbil just died', no. It was a cry, a cry of a bleeding heart, it was the same sound I made when my wife fell to cancer."

"I...I'm sorry for your loss."

But the older wasn't listening. " I watched her, I watch the lights slowly fade from her eyes as her hands went limp in mine. And you know the last thing she said to me?"

"..."

"Take care of daffodil for me." The older was now at barely a whisper.

"...who?" The other whispered in reply.

" Daffodil was our child. Our child who died at eight. I cried for her months on end, every time I thought I was done, I would go right back to thinking about a poor Imelda and my little daffy, who died too young. That night in the woods, Mr. police man? I heard my cries a thousand times over."

—END LOG—

———————————————————————————

-1993-

Thanya sniffed. She didn't mean to get lost. She really didn't.

Her mommy and daddy had said that they wanted to have a picnic out in a field behind their house. She had gone ahead of them when they told her not to, and now she was going to pay for it.

Thanya hugged her knee's tighter. Mommy and daddy were right. They were always right. Mommy was really smart... and so is daddy. That's why they work on cars, right? You have to be smart to do that!

Which is why Thanya didn't work on cars.

Thanya wasn't smart, and that was why she was here right now.

Lost.

In the woods.

Alo—She felt a tap on her shoulder.—Or so she thought.