Chapter 13

The next day, Dipper and Ford made their way back to the UFO. The last time they were here, Ford talked about how he'd gotten used to the idea of extraterrestrial beings, but that hadn't happened to Dipper yet. Star and Bill had come from a different dimension, but this spaceship had come from within their own universe. Dipper had never believed they were alone in the universe, but to have concrete proof made the theoretical fact.

Although, as Ford mentioned, this spacecraft was millions of years old and no one ever came looking for it. Dipper remembered reading about a theory that talked about how the universe used to be full of life but all of the other civilizations collapsed long before the dinosaurs roamed the Earth and no we were the only ones left. It was a chilling thought, but one that was never completely out of Dipper's head.

The entrance to the UFO was still uncovered and Dipper followed Ford down the ladder. He still didn't know what Ford's plan was and it was starting to worry him. Usually, his great-uncle would talk non-stop about whatever was around them, but he was silent now and there seemed to be weight resting on his shoulders.

Dipper knew that the solution that Ford had come up with yesterday was not a happy one and he hoped that it would never have to be used. It was a last resort.

They walked down one of the long corridors. They tried their best to keep their feet dry, but the opening had let rainwater in and there were giant puddles that couldn't be avoided.

Dipper hated having wet socks. He couldn't exactly explain why, but it was also one of those sentiments that he didn't feel the need to explain. Everyone hated wet socks. It was one of the few things he felt that every human could agree on.

"Here, take this," Ford handed him what looked like a gun but with a bunch of electronics where the barrel should've been. "I rigged them up last night and they should fire an electromagnetic pulse strong enough to temporarily disable the security bots."

Dipper had managed to show no fear the last time he encountered the spherical killing machines, but he was glad that Ford had brought protection just in case. Ford getting captured and almost being sent to an alien prison billions of lightyears away was not one of the memories he liked to think about. Besides, Dipper wasn't sure that Ford could survive another impact like when the pod was defeated. Even though Stan's mind was as sharp as ever, his body was beginning to show its age.

They wandered around for another half-hour in silence before Dipper couldn't stand it anymore. He was filled to the brim with a morbid curiosity. What was in this spaceship that could split the two worlds apart? And why couldn't the mewman world be saved in the process?

He hated the thought that the mewmans and monsters would probably not survive, but Earth came first in his mind. Besides, what they were doing would only be a last resort. Something that would only be used if every other option failed.

Dipper was just about to ask Ford what the plan was when Ford opened a door. He gave a little grunt of satisfaction.

"I don't understand," Dipper said. They were in some kind of storage room, and there were about twenty of the security spheres in standby mode. They hadn't been activated, thankfully, but just seeing them brought back bad memories of Ford almost being taken out of their solar system and Dipper's near-death experiences.

"We can't separate the worlds," Uncle Ford walked towards the nearest sphere, "that technology no longer exists. The only thing that we can do is get rid of the mewmans. If we use the EMP guns on these things, we can reprogram them to search for mewman genetics instead of adrenaline."

Dipper's eyes widened. Ford wanted to create drones that would systematically murder every single mewman on the planet. He didn't know what he'd expected when Ford told him of his plans, but this certainly wasn't it. It'd never seriously occurred to him that saving the Earth would mean the death of mewmans.