Chapter 13 Nursing a Hangover Joan's POV

The sun's rays, pouring in from the window, tickled Joan's skin and brightened the room just enough to wake her up. She rose from her spot on the floor and groaned.

"Ugh, I think I had one too many bottles last night." She said groggily.

"One too many? Understatement ata 'yan, Joan." A voice teased from the kitchen.

She looked to her left to see Karl approaching her. He helped her up and handed her crackers in a plastic wrapper.

"Kain ka muna ng Skyflakes habang niluluto ko pa breakfast natin. It will help with the hangover." He told her.

She sat herself down at the kitchen table, resting her head on her palm.

"Asan si Chomskie?" She asked with a yawn.

"Umalis na. Alam mo naman siya lang ang morning person sa grupo na 'to. At may kailangan daw siyang gawin sa bahay." He answered.

Joan scrolled away on her phone while Karl made his way around the kitchen, working his magic at the stove. Joan normally would have offered to help if she weren't so hungover.

"So, Karl... If it's ok to ask... You and Vlad. What's your story?" Joan asked.

Karl inhaled sharply before answering.

"Well, we were roommates." He replied.

"Is that supposed to be a Vine reference?" She asked.

"Ha? Seryoso ako. I needed to pay my rent and he needed somewhere to stay. So ayan, roommates kami rito noong sem break. Eventually, nahulog kami sa isa't isa pero... wala, eh. 'Di pa ako ready noon na mag-out at ayaw niyang itago ang... kung ano mang meron sa'ming dalawa. Tapos ayun, 'di kami nag-usap buong second sem. Noong ASF assembly nga lang kami nagkita ulit, eh."

"Oh..." Joan said with a hint of pain in her voice.

You two aren't so different from us, huh...

"Joan..." Karl called.

He set two plates of pancakes on the table, one for each of them, then continued speaking.

"Yung iyak mo kagabi... I don't know, may feeling lang ako na-" Karl said before getting interrupted by Joan

"I think I know what you're going to ask. Yes, there was something more to the tears I shed last night."

She took a gulp of water and a bite out of a pancake before continuing.

Way to turn a light breakfast into a heavy discussion, I guess. To be fair, I did start it.

"Ok, Karl, do you remember what Sue said about us when you met her?"

"Subtle daw relationship niyo." He recalled.

"I guess... when you came out I couldn't help but think about her. And I get it, you know? Her family is the definition of conservative religious Asian family. But I can't help but feel exhausted being kept a secret. I thought it would be fine, but clearly it's not." She sighed.

Karl put his hand on hers in an attempt to comfort her. Joan responded with a pained smile.

"I love her, okay. That's the one thing I'm sure of. It's just hard sometimes." Joan said with another sigh.

"Sigurado akong magiging ready siya balang araw. Kung sigurado kang worth the wait siya, maghintay ka. Pero 'wag mong pilitin, ha. Masasaktan lang lalo kayong dalawa." Karl said, looking into Joan's eyes.

"Thanks, Karl." Joan smiled.

The two finished their meals and Joan asked to use the shower. She didn't emerge until after a good 30 minutes of shower thoughts. She put on her old high school PE shirt, a light blue Ateneo de Manila Senior High School shirt that luckily still fit her since she found it comfortable, and white shorts.

"I think I'll go na, Karl. Thanks for earlier. I think I, uh, needed to hear that."

"Welcome, Joan. Kita kits sa school." Karl said, opening the door for her.

Joan walked down the stairs of the building, bringing out her phone to send a text.

Joan: Sue, are you near na?

Sue: I'll be there in a bit. Don't worry, u know I'm a reliable sundo

After a few minutes, Sue's car pulled up at the driveway and Joan got in, closing the door before giving her girlfriend a kiss.

"Tara, tambay sa bahay ko?" Joan invited Sue.

"Sure." Sue answered.

May pag-uusapan tayo ngayon, Susan.