1

"There ya go, beb," I said as I set a bowl of cheerio's in front of Alex.

She smiled up at me, her dark brown eyes parallel to mine.

"Thanks Mummy," She replied sweetly.

Her sweet voice made me smile every time I heard it. The only word I loved more than her saying "I love you" was her calling me Mummy.

I sat down next to her, opening the lid of my laptop. Checking my emails, I confirmed that I didn't have to go in for work today.

"Lucky for you Al," I told her, "Mummy gets to stay home all day with you."

"Yay!" She cheered, stuffing the entire spoon of overflowing cheerio's into her tiny mouth.

I grinned at her and closed my laptop, watching her as she finished her breakfast.

"Can I wear the dress Auntie Ally bought me? Please?" Alex asked me as she climbed down from the table.

My heart raced until her feet softly hit the ground, and I let out a sigh of relief.

"Sure you can."

I followed her up the stairs and out of her purple onesie pajamas, then changing her into the yellow dress Ally had given her as an early birthday present.

"Why won't Auntie Ally be coming to my birthday party?" Alex asked me, and I could hear her accent getting thicker.

"She's got to go visit her family. Remember her Mum, the one who lives in Manchester?"

Alex nodded her head.

"Yeah she's got to visit her. She's up in the sky right now," I said.

"Auntie Ally's flying? Like a bird?" Alex laughed.

"Not quite beb," I said, squeezing her cheek. "On an airplane."

I brought Alex into my bedroom, sitting her on the double bed as I rummaged through my dresser, pulling out a set of clothes for myself. I changed into a pair of blue skinny jeans and a maroon sweater over top.

"We've got to brush your teeth and then we'll get going to the toy store, alright? Just like I promised you."

Alex climbed onto the green stool on the floor and handed me her princess toothbrush. I carefully brushed her teeth, then mine, and picked her up in my arms.

"You're getting quite big there," I told her.

Alex smiled brightly, both her dimples appearing.

I put on her jean jacket and locked the door, carrying her out to the car. Once secured in her car seat, I set off for the toy store.

I carried her through the parking lot, then set her down as she eagerly opened the heavy door. I followed her as she rushed to the lego section, knowing it was her favourite.

"Alex, no running!" I quickly called, noticing a tall girl walking towards her; her face burried in a childrens book.

It was too late, Alex ran into the legs, covered by ripped black jeans, and fell backwards. She let out a small whimper, but luckily didn't make a scene.

I jogged over, picking her up in my arms and holding her head cautiously.

"Oh, sorry," The girl said.

She had a strong London accent, and above her ripped jeans was a black crop top with a leather jacket. Her hear was a big curly mess, all pushed away from her face. Her piercing green eyes reminded me of a snake.

"You ought to watch where you're going," I scowled.

"Sorry. Sorry sweetheart," She said, turning to Alex.