8

I woke up before Lauren, the sound of her breathing instantly soothing me. I watched for a minute; the way she looked so peaceful, and safe. Then I got up to check on Alex, who was still sleeping as well.

I went back into my bedroom and kissed Lauren's forehead softly, completely unprepared for what she would be like when she woke up with her head pounding.

I went downstairs, getting breakfast ready, when I heard footsteps enter the kitchen.

"Morning baby," I said, to who I thought was Alex.

"Baby? I like that," Lauren mumbled as she wrapped her hands around my lower waist.

I let out a soft moan as she pressed her lips against my jawline.

"Not too hungover then?" I asked.

"No, my heads fucking pounding. But I can feel shitty later, when I'm home alone ..."

"Mummy?"

I spun around, Lauren's arms still attatched to me. My butt was pressed against her from and she let out a quiet noise.

"Hi Al," I greeted her.

"Lauren!" Alex squeeled, realizing who was standing behind me.

She ran up to Lauren and Lauren reluctantly released me, bending down on her knees to meet Alex.

"How's it going monkey?" Lauren asked her, ruffling her dark hair.

"Good. I thought you wouldn't be coming over for a while," Alex told her.

"Why not?"

Alex shrugged.

"What would you like for breakfast?" I asked her.

Lauren stood back up, and Alex took her hand. Lauren smiled widely at her.

"Cheerios?" Alex asked, but before I could remind her quickly added, "please?"

"Good girl. Yes, you want to sit at the table?" I suggested.

She walked over to the large table, not letting go of Lauren's hand. She let go of it while she climbed up on the chair, instantly reaching for it again.

"Thank you Mummy," She said as I placed the small bowl in front of her.

I sat down across from the two of them, fighting the urge to grab Lauren's other hand.

"Lauren," Alex began.

Lauren looked up, her green eyes full of love while looking at the small brunette.

"I'm going to my best friends house today," She told her.

"Really? Who's your best friend?" Lauren asked curiously.

"Samantha."

"I thought I was your best friend," Lauren said, pretending to be offended.

Lauren pouted her bottom lip at Alex and she giggled.

"You're my other best friend," She replied.

"Oh, I see how it is," Lauren laughed.

"Mummy?"

"Yes baby?" I asked, as she averted her attention to me.

"I'd like Samantha to be my girlfriend," She stated.

"Girlfriend?" I asked her, wondering where she'd learned that word.

"Samantha said her Daddy has a girlfriend. But I want her to be mine. She's pretty," She turned to Lauren, "she always wears a bow in her yellow hair."