Chapter 7

"What the hell is this, cadet Baurer?! After we took you around this morning, and there's still a stray kid?!"

Screams echoed throughout the dining room, making all the children there look down in fright. But I still straightened myself, gesturing respectfully to the person who made the noise, Instructor Keith.

"Pardon, sir! I promise this will never happen again!" I said firmly, secretly I glanced at Christa who also happened to be looking at me with a worried look there. My gaze shifted when I saw the slightest movement from the Instructor.

"...okay. This time I tolerate it. But if you repeat the same mistake, you won't get dinner." The instructor turned around, looking at the children sitting at the dining table one by one. "This applies to you all! Take this as a lesson. I never tolerate people who make mistakes over and over again. Got it?!"

Hearing the shout, the children sat up straight and gave a respectful gesture, "Understood, sir!!"

"Great! And you, Cadet Baurer!" The instructor turned to face me, "Quickly get your dinner and eat."

" Yes, Sir!"

Instructor Keith left, I sighed and sat down next to Bertholdt who had brought me a tray of food. He looked worried, while Annie in front of him was still eating, ignoring what had just happened.

"R-reiner... Where were you this afternoon? We even studied new material, and I made notes for you. Be thankful that instructor Keith forgot to absent the cadets!"

I sighed, "There's something I have to confirm. And this time I can do it myself. Since yesterday I wanted to talk about a lot of things with you guys, but I guess I'll postpone it because I want to continue my work ..."

My hand reached for the rye bread on the tray and chewed it like one who hadn't eaten for a week. I am very hungry. Even in the horse carriage earlier, I desperately suppressed my hunger by pressing my stomach. Even my legs went limp, and several times I almost fell off the train just because I was hungry.

I'm also confused with myself, even though during training as a fighter I can hold my hunger for up to 3 days. And why now only a few hours I can not? Weird, doesn't make sense.

Bertholdt kept looking at me who was eating, while waiting for my food to run out. His index finger made a circular motion across the table, indicating that he was thinking about something. The atmosphere in the dining room is slowly quiet, the cold air from outside also feels gripping. But the three of us haven't left the dining room. While Annie was seen with her arms crossed in front of me, her gaze blankly stared at her own tray. This strange atmosphere confused me.