Chapter 06: The Brothers

A/N: Welcome to the new season of "Why I Hate My Brother?"!

LOKI

ONE THING that I hated about this job was I couldn't choose which case to take on. I'd have to deal with whatever the police would request us to do. I used the word "request," but we don't have any option to turn them down. Run a fingerprints analysis on the murder weapon. Run a DNA test on these cups we found in the crime scene. We nod and do what we're told—which was very out of character for me.

I wish I could still be my high school or college self where I could outright say "This case is boring. I'll take a pass." But as a member of the forensics unit, I couldn't just say no. I had to oblige even if it's out of my will. Such is the burden of dealing with reality. I have no control over some matters. I need to go with the flow and try to stay myself afloat.

The most recent case referred to us was not that boring, but it was not that interesting either. A man was hit in the head and collapsed on the floor. The suspect was the woman with him around the time of his death. That's it. No plot twist to spice things up. No complicated scheme to make this mess a lot messier.

But what caught my interest was not the case itself, but the action taken by the suspect and her defense attorney: submitting a not guilty plea to the court. I even laughed at them and thought they're dumb enough to reject reality and accept an alternative truth. There's an overwhelming evidence that the suspect did it.

Then I heard that the defense attorney was Alistair Ravena. I stopped making fun of them. I've known him since high school. He may have been annoying with his obsession with the rules and his commitment to never put anyone at risk no matter the situation, but he wasn't dumb. There must be something in the case that prompted him to take this all the way to the court.

My guess? Justification of self-defense to acquit his client. If he's gonna go down that route, then he must be confident with the arguments and counter-arguments that he would present before the judge.

"Loki?"

My eyes raised their gaze at the middle-aged man wearing a white lab coat who just entered the lab. His black hair and his navy blue inner shirt were the same: they're both messy. He already had some gray strands of hair despite being in his early forties, yet he didn't bother to dye them black. A pair of spectacles with transparent frame rested before his dark brown eyes with thick dark circles underneath.

"Yes?" I was seated on a stool with my eyes open and my arms crossed. If it weren't for that booming voice, I would have dozed off already. I thought of taking a nap first while pretending to be in deep thought. I deserved some rest after brushing a knife for fingerprints (this was for another case).

"Na-prepare mo na ba ang results na hinihingi ng prosecution para sa Pangilinan case?"

This was precisely what I hated about working with and for others. I am not my own boss. When I was the president of the QED Club, no one could simply ask to me do something—except in some cases where I was outvoted by my members. I guess this was another reality that I needed to accept, especially if I wanted to work in the real world.