Chapter 11: Closing Arguments

A/N: We're nearing the conclusion of this novella! Thank you so much to everyone who shared their theories and thoughts about the case! As I said on a tweet, this wouldn't be too complicated as I'm still navigating the court thingy. But I hope you're still having fun, whatever the verdict will be.

DISCLAIMER
The succeeding chapters will involve legal and criminal proceedings. I am not a police or a lawyer, but to the best of my knowledge, I will try to write these parts as close to the real procedures. Nevertheless, I will be exercising my dramatic license to modify some of these existing conventions to fit the narrative. I hope you all understand!

 I hope you all understand!

ALISTAIR

I KNEW from the start that this wouldn't be an easy battle. After all, I was facing against the undefeated prosecutor of Clark City, Lucian Thoren Mendez. May mga nagsabi sa akin sa office na tagilid na ang laban ko dahil siya ang makahaharap ko sa courtroom. Pero hindi naman ang personality na present ang magtatakda kung kaninong panig ang mananalo. It's the evidence and how they're presented that matters.

Bilang kapwa abogado, mataas ang respeto ko kay Luthor. I heard a number of praises about him and his performance in court from my colleagues and other lawyers. Pero iba talaga kapag na-witness ko na sa personal kung paano siya magtrabaho. No wonder why some defense attorneys that I know didn't want to argue with him in the court.

Tagilid nga ba kami? Right from the beginning, I knew that a case may be made so that my client Madonna Mendoza would be acquitted from the charge. Tiwala ako base sa kuwento niya na kaya naming patunayan ang self-defense justification sa pagpatay niya kay Parker Pangilinan. It's up to the judge on how he would appreciate the facts.

During the last court session, our turn as defense to present our witnesses and evidences came. Today, it's time for the closing arguments. This would be our last chance to convince the judge on why he should rule in favor of or against us. Heto na ang huling pagkakataon ko para maipanalo ang kaso at mapawalang-sala si Madonna. If I fail here... my client would serve the sentence that she didn't deserve.

Gaya sa dalawang nagdaang hearing, inabangan ng media ang pagdating namin sa Hall of Justice building. Sinundo muna namin sa correctional and detention facility si Madonna bago kami dumiretso rito.

The trial was taking a toll on her. Ibang-iba na ang itsura niya mula nang una ko siyang makita sa Clark Theater Center. The woman who was once vibrant was now dull. Pumayat ang mukha niya, hindi na gano'n kaayos ang buhok at mas malalaki na ang eyebags. Bumagsak at nangayayat din ang katawan niya.

I couldn't help but feel pity for her. Siya na nga ang muntikang maagrabyado, siya pa ang nagdurusa ngayon. That's why I promised to do everything to prove her case and request for her acquittal.

Pagpatak ng nine o'clock, nakaupo na kami sa aming puwesto sa courtroom. Nasa kanan kaming defense team habang nasa kabila naman ang prosecution na nire-represent ni Luthor. He always seemed prepared and collected while seated over there. Ang assistant niya ang nag-aasikaso sa mga papel sa kanilang mesa habang siya nama'y nakaupo lang.