CHAPTER 1: Goddamn Man-child

Your hand guides a stick of chalk against the cell wall, drawing yet another tally mark, counting your days of confinement.

"Day 35..." you sigh hopelessly as you rest your face into your hands then wander into your thoughts.

"Fuck the justice system..."

Each day has been slow, long and grey. You haven't seen or felt one narrow ray of sunlight in what seems like forever. You feel rage and sorrow mixing in your gut as you recall everything. Being accused of a murder you didn't even commit, being pulled out of your home by the commission. You want to cry again for what may be the hundredth time this month, but you've run out of tears at this point.

You depressingly slide down to lay onto your side and stare at the empty bed that sits across yours. Your eyes slowly close, and before you can catch yourself you've fallen into a dream.

You let out a breath of relief as your eyes open.

The sky is so blue and clear, no clouds in sight. The sun beaming bright just like you remembered. You're laying in grass, right in front of the home you used to live in. You sit up and look around, inhaling the fresh air, then you immediately get onto your feet and run around, jumping with joy.

"Freedom! Freedom... Freedom..." the cheers begin to fade out and distort.

Your dream goes black as you're snatched back into reality, the thudding sound of guards struggling fills your ears. You sit up, alert.

"Get your hands off me!" Yells a man, his voice echoing through the jail.

The group of guards muster the strength to bring the man to your cell door.

"Hey! Watch the hair! I just combed it!" he protests.

"Silence, Oni," demands a Guard.

The officers unlock the cell door, then forcefully throw the man in. "Umph!" he grunts.

"That will be an extra week for resisting authorities," declares a guard.

The strange man lifts both middle fingers to the officers as they lock the cell. You sit in silence, staring at him and listening to the distancing footsteps of the officers. He quickly looks at you.

"What are you looking at?" He says with an intimidating tone.

"Nothing, nothing..." you respond anxiously.

He scoffs and stands up, then plops down on the extra bed, a cloud of dust floats around him as he bounces on the creaky mattress.

"Sheesh, how old is this thing?" he says with a raised brow.

You shrug in response, although you're not sure if he's actually talking to you or not.

"Well, it's better than the floors, I guess." he continues.

You see that the officers didn't remove his handcuffs.

"They didn't take your handcuffs off." you nervously notify him.

"Duh, I'm wearing them, I know." He says in a snappy tone.

He looks down to his hands, then forcefully snaps the handcuff chain apart. You look in both amazement and terror.

"I can't believe that they thought this cheap chain could hold ME, down," he says with a sly tone, laughing, "it looks kinda cool now though, like some swaggy bracelets. Don't you agree?"

You quickly nod your head in scared approval.

He looks at you for a short moment, then stands up and approaches you. You begin to shrink into your bed, but to your surprise he only extends his hand outward.