28 ) A Butterfly's Wings

will she ever be happy again?

I hold pitless cherries in my hands, in a somewhat white container

I hold pitless cherries in my hands, in a somewhat white container. Two days have passed, and I guarantee she's awake by now. Though I should be enjoying time with my family at the end of November, they'd rather have me here away from the hustle and bustle at home. It's alright. I enjoy it here than facing them and accidentally spilling all the secrets that I hide from them.

I stroll down the hallway, step by step. I was worried that she may have lost her memory or something far more drastic than that. Though I have nothing to worry about, maybe I should've asked for more details from the surgeon. I wait by her door, wondering if I am prepared to face her. I think I am, at least. I knock, hearing her faint "come in" from the other side of the room. 

For a second, as I enter, I wonder what she had to say about me. About the situation. She couldn't get up, she couldn't use parts of her body. She was hooked to countless machines, more wires and pipes than I have seen on a person. Rena couldn't even see me. Her eyes were either closed or pointed to the ceiling, to which she could barely see the sun passing by. "Jungwon, you're here," She weakly smiles, her ears flinching slightly as I pull a chair closer to her bed. "You're on break for a few days, right?"

"Yeah, I am. I'll stay with you the whole time," I grin. I wish she could see it. I use my free hand to grab her's, lifting it even as it lays limp. I kiss it, and as she hears it, she opens her eyes. "Are you doing okay? Nothing hurts, right?"

"No, not at the moment. Did you... see me from the rooftop?" Rena questions, causing me to gaze away. "I'm sorry you had to see that. It must've traumatized you."

"What about you?" I ignore her concern for me, for someone who wasn't even hit. "You were just as traumatized. You were in the accident. Can't you care for yourself in this situation?"

She chuckles briefly, once gentle, then once weaker. "Jungwon, my fear of death... it no longer recedes so high. Surely, I'm scared of not seeing anyone again, but the pain... it feels common now. I no longer have to wince, to cry over it," She exhales. "It feels normal for me. You don't have to worry about seeing me in pain. The last thing I want is to have this picture of me in your head, afraid of all the things that could happen in the future."