38 ) Backstory: The Origins of Us

"falling in love isn't rocket science, yang

"falling in love isn't rocket science, yang. you chose to love me."
the origin of jungwon's trauma, and sunwoo's truth.

[in Kim Sunwoo's POV.]

2017

2017.

We met in the spring of 2017. The colors were apricot orange, french blue, and multiple shades of purple. I fixate myself on the thought of him while hiding in the woods. In minutes, I'll kill myself.

I had forsaken his trust. I took it, left it to die, and watched it bleed with no remorse. 

But in those minutes before my death, I'll think of him. Yang Jungwon.

The original love of my life, even when half of my heart belonged to someone much different than him. 

It's unusually rainy. I forgot my umbrella at home, and on the way to school, we met. Nothing special when he shared an umbrella with him happened, but he had let my body take full coverage instead of his shoulder. What had been the deciding factor for me to get to know him was when he asked for my name.

"Kim Sunwoo," I had responded, giving him a crooked look. "Who's asking?"

"A friend," He clicked his tongue. His head turned, and his smile was rather wide. His grip on the umbrella tightened, a stare flickering past me. "I'm Jungwon. Do you like the rain, Sunwoo?"

"No, I don't," I didn't like gray. No shade of it. It was unusually eerie-looking, and gray was associated with negative actions or descriptions. For example, fog. If tears were opaque, they'd be a shade of gray. "The sky is crying. Do you like it, Mr. Yang?"

"Yes, I like it when it rains."

His short answer put me in a curious pursuit. How did someone, with such a bright smile, like an event that's covered in darkness? "Why?"

"Because," Was all Yang Jungwon said. "How do you know if the sky is crying good tears or bad tears? Maybe it needs to let out its frustration, just like the rest of us. You shouldn't judge its emotion the way you judge a human's reason."