Chapter 2 - Sisters

Trigger Warning - Depictions of Abuse

Yolanda and Lupita sat across from each other, near one end of a teak dining table. A crystal chandelier larger than either of them lit up the smooth stucco walls. Armed guards in camouflage fatigues stood stoically in the corners of the room.

Yolanda pressed the silver fork into the seared crust of the steak. Red grease oozed from the cracks in the meat. Not blood. She decided. She pulled at the frills of her lily-white gown, rocking back and forth as she struggled to plant her feet on the ground.

Her twin sister, Lupita, stared into her clear chalice – filled to the brim with a crimson liquid. The faint smell of antiseptic wafted across the table. Not wine. Also not blood. She wore the same gown as Yolanda, the white gleaming against her straight black hair.

"You think he's close?" Yolanda asked, stabbing her fork into the steak to watch the muscle fibers twist around its tines.

"Close enough." Lupita shushed Yolanda.

"He's been getting home later and later." Yolanda stabbed the steak again.

Lupita adjusted her middle fork.

"Do you think something is changing in the cartel?" Yolanda raked the fork against the grain of the steak. Her feet swung back and forth as she leaned forward in her chair.

"Shut up!" Lupita put her finger to her mouth and shushed Yolanda again, loudly.

Static crackled from one of the soldiers, Yolanda heard the click of a deadbolt down the hall. She jumped, her fork sailing through the air, a stream of steak juice staining her dress. The fork landed on the plush, scarlet carpet and Yolanda dove out of her chair after it.

Elegant slats ran lengthwise between the legs, along the underside of the table. The gaps between them were about two centimeters wide - evidently wide enough for a fork to bounce through.

Yolanda was on her hands and knees, staring through the slats, hunting for a glint of silver. Dress shoes clacked against marble floors - Miguel was getting close.

"Get up. Get up!" Lupita whispered.

Yolanda finally saw the fork, stabbing her hand through the slats. Her forearm wedged in the gap inches away.

"Lupe! Please! It's here!"

Lupita grumbled, but she left her seat immediately. She pounced on the fork. Another, closer deadbolt clicked open. Lupita thrust the fork into Yolanda's quivering hand. She stood up.

Yolanda gripped the fork so tight that it hurt. She grunted, trying to pull her arm back. It was stuck. Miguel spoke to the soldier on the other side of the door.

"Lu!"

Lupita kicked Yolanda's hand. Yolanda rolled backward into her chair. The dining room lock clicked open. Lupita grabbed her napkin and sat down in one smooth motion. Yolanda scrambled onto her chair.

Miguel was beautiful. His chestnut skin was spotless, his black crew cut hair was impeccable. His square jaw framed his architected smile; his muscular body filled out his taupe suit; his cerulean tie highlighted his matching eyes. He wore three rings on each hand - heavy gold bands set with cabochons.

He entered the room followed by his butler, Ricky.

"Good evening my sweethearts." Even his voice was beautiful - smooth and entrancing.

"Good evening master," Lupita and Yolanda said in unison.

Miguel sat at the head of the table, draping one of his legs over his chair's armrest. He grabbed the steak knife and fork from next to his plate and immediately cut into his steak. Yolanda and Lupita both watched him, their bodies still.