thirty seven- space

[jun-jul 2020]

JUNE FLEW BY QUICKLY. taylor, aaron, justin, jack and sam had finished the new album, folklore, and planned to release it in late july. folklore was a dramatic shift from the familiarities of taylor's past albums, but sam kinda preferred this new era. it was very fitting to the time.

sam hadn't heard the album in full; taylor wanted to keep some of the songs a surprise to her. the actress had obviously heard the songs she wrote and produced, which ended up being quite a few, but there was still a couple that were alien to her.

the blonde had showed her a song she'd written that she wanted to put on folklore called seven. the title in itself gave away the fact that it was about sam. at first, the brunette was confused; but then taylor explained the background fully. seven was a song about sams childhood and her friendship with the swift- one of the only things that kept her going as a child.

taylor assured her wife that she didn't have to reveal who it was about. she could just say it was a childhood friend from pennsylvania whose name was long forgotten. but sam felt differently. she didn't like to feel shackled to the past anymore. her mother had no hold over her anymore, there was no one to be scared of. so, she let the singer use the song.

another tense topic of conversation was whether sams name was to be credited. tree was adamant that the actress used a pseudonym, preferably a male one, to protect herself; but taylor felt very strongly about artists having their own names on their work and insisted that sam was credited. eventually, they compromised and decided to create a fairly obvious pseudonym, 'luna wilson' for the woman. 'luna' because that was her middle name, and 'wilson' because it was jo from greys anatomy's last name.

ON JULY EIGHTH, sam and her old friends' worlds came crashing down; when the news that their beloved friend, naya rivera, was missing. the brunette spent the agonising wait for news on facetime with dianna, kevin, and jenna, her closest glee friends.

taylor didn't quite know what to do; sam had a constant glazed look for days, going through her routine robotically.

despite the sadness and worry the actress was feeling, she was still determined to celebrate willows birthday. it was an opportunity for hope within the pain.

on the morning of the thirteenth, the couple awoke early to prepare breakfast before getting willow up. they strolled into her room with a grin, sam humming as taylor sang.
"happy birthday willow!" they chorused, spinning the baby around.
"mama." willow cooed, her vocabulary limited.

taylor carried her downstairs and passed her pieces of sliced banana, sam eating the leftovers from the plate. because there was still a international lockdown, the couple weren't able to have their families over, which secretly pained them both. they had planned to facetime andrea and scott during the afternoon but it wasn't the same.

willow was still learning to walk and talk properly so the pair decided not to wrap up her present, which was a push along car- sams choice, of course. taylor put the blonde baby in the red vehicle and pushed her around the living room, making vroom noises as she did so.

while she watched them, sams phone began to ring- it was dianna. she would normally accept a call from her best friend immediately, but something was telling her this wasn't a good call. the actress walked into the kitchen and pressed the green phone, raising the device to her ear.

"di?"

"sam, they, uh, found her."

sam dropped her phone, her muscles unable to move. she fell to her knees, sobs wracking throughout her body. taylor heard the sounds, and peered through the door, to see her wife crying on the floor.
"sammy, what's wrong?"
the brunette couldn't stop her tears from spilling as she buried her head in taylor's arms. the singer held her as she cried, waiting for her to talk.