Darshini

"Aadhira, I cannot thank you enough for your assistance. But if amma finds out that you helped me escape, I fear that she may..."

"Silly girl," she looked me in the eyes, though I do not think she could see clearly as I was still wearing my veil. From her graying hair that was neatly tied up in a bun to the wrinkles appearing on her forehead, I could finally see how much the years really affected her. "Worry about yourself now. After all, you have your person to protect, no?"

We stopped at the end of a tunnel, where I could feel my worry slowly fade away. "Go, now." She slightly pushed at my back, ushering me out of the palace. I looked back one more time. Sorry, amma, but my happiness does not lie within these walls.

By the time my feet arrived at our spot, it was late afternoon, leaving what I was sure only a few hours until sunset. I took a look around; Karthik wasn't here yet. That was odd. I couldn't stop the uneasiness that began planting itself in my stomach. Did anything happen as he was leaving? Oh, no. Please, do not let such be true.

I was worrying myself mad. My legs had become tired, so I took a seat next to our tree. My eyes caught the carving, and I felt myself smiling. Before I knew it, my fingertips were slowly tracing over the letters, reminding me of that memory. A loud yet subtle cooing caught my attention, and I whipped around.

"Shree, what has happened? I am so sorry, I do not have any water with me." I pet him nonstop, letting him nuzzle against my hands for a moment. That's when I saw the blue ribbon tied to his leg. My eyes widened. "It's from Karthik, isn't it," I said rather than asking. "Is he alright?"

I received a single coo from the pura. Untying the ribbon, I held it in my hand as I read the message attached with the other.

"Chellam, I have made it safely do not worry,

As soon as possible, to you back I will hurry,"

I tied the slip of paper back again. Shree had flown above and was nestled in the tree's shelter. I might as well do the same. I rested my head against the rough wood, and although it took a moment to find a comfortable position, I fell into a deep slumber as I awaited my beloved.