Ship Only Valid Pairings

When Kamui Becomes Kawaii

By Rei-chu Asakura

Chapter 6: Ship Only Valid Pairings

Another normal morning in the Yorozuya household.

Shinpachi was dusting the furnitures while humming an Otsu song. Kamui and Kagura were vacuuming the floor or rather, trying to figure out how the vacuum works and how to attach the floor brush on the end of this Gengai-special vacuum. They looked more like playing with it, though, as Kagura pointed the vacuum hose towards Kamui, to which he playfully panicked when it started sucking the sleeve of his shirt.

When he entered the living room with the new issue of Jump in his hand, Gintoki couldn’t help but snicker, and this caught the attention of the other three. “The room has two completely different scenes right here, eh? The left side looked like the typical precious-moments-we-shared-together in shoujo anime while the right side looked like I’m-gonna-be-a-cherry-boy-till-50, forever-alone kind of a black-and-white movie.”

“I’m not going to be a cherry boy till 50!” It got Shinpachi yelling like usual.

Smiling lazily, Gintoki ignored his protests and went to his desk to start reading the Goku vs. Golden Freeza special.

Kagura, meanwhile, added, “There’s nothing wrong with being a cherry boy with glasses, Shinpachi. If it weren’t for those two traits, you wouldn’t be Shinpachi at all.”

“That’s not even a major trait that defines a person!” the lad piped. “Anyone could be cherry and wear glasses at the same time!”

“Then that means we could replace you with anyone if we need to,” Kagura nonchalantly replied.

Kamui laughed and remarked, “You guys always treat Shinpachi-san a bit too meanly, don’t you?”

“Uh-huh,” Kagura muttered as she tried to insert the vacuum attachment again, “And our day won’t be complete without bullying him, ne Gin-chan?”

“That’s right, Master Roshi!” Gin might have been replying or commending a statement of the old man in his manga, but Kagura didn’t bother about it because she quickly got irritated of the oddly complicated device and ended up swinging the hose like a golf club. “Wochaa!” The brush attachment flew right into the nearby cabinet, breaking it in the process.

Smiling halfheartedly at the girl who just did the opposite of cleaning, Shinpachi stated, “You’re actually the only one who treats me nicely around here, Kamui-san.” He looked down on his hands. “Ah, why is it raining in here? And my eyes are getting cloudy…”

“You just have a poor eyesight, Megane,” Kagura indifferently remarked as she sat on the sofa and clicked the TV on. “Ne Aniki, why don’t you try being mean to Shinpachi? It’s fun, I tell you. More fun than doing house chores.” She threw him only a single glance as she browsed for a good channel.

“You don’t normally do household chores here; how can you make such comparison?” was Shinpachi’s ill side comment.