1┊FRIENDS

FRIENDS ARE A LUXURY

lux·u·ry
/ˈləkSH(ə)rē,ˈləɡZH(ə)rē/
noun: something that is not essential but is desirable and often expensive or the state of having or enjoying desirable and expensive things.

Friends are a luxury not all can afford.  If you're too ugly, too pretty, too big, too small, too light, too dark, too tall, too short— anything out of society's "norm" will leave you discarded like the candy wrapper you carelessly stuff in your pocket and forget about till laundry day. Making friends doesn't seem that hard, but keeping them is where the problem arose.

With the right kind of friends, your connected souls weave through any difficulties you may face in life. With the wrong kind of friends, you may find yourself being your own difficulties in life.

Children can weasel their way into friendships with much more ease than any adult you'll ever meet. A simple spill of chocolate milk, wanting to play in the same sandbox or accidentally matching clothes, children have no problem sharing and spreading their love far and wide. But once you grow up and realize that your love is unneeded, unnecessary or flat out crushed and rejected, that love begins to diminish; wrapping your inner child in a box with a bow in the corner of a dark attic.

For Maxwell Dillon, that box was half cracked down the middle, allowing small bits of light to shine through every time he discovered something new in his sciences or was given praise from his superiors for his work. But no light would shine brighter than his niece and nephew, who lit up his whole like no other.

Ever since Imane was a baby, her and her uncle were inseparable. His inner child clashed perfectly with the real child who wanted nothing more than to spend more playtime with him. The two played dolls together whenever she wanted, learned how to walk together, learned shapes together, even Imane's first words were "Dillon"! Well, at least that's what Max hoped considering all that came out was "DiDi", he would accept it!

He accepted all of her falls, throw ups and tantrums because he loved the baby like no other person alive.

And then Runako was born and, oh did Maxwell Dillon's heart expand beyond physical capacity.

After his sister and her husband dropped the kids off at his doorstep with a couple bags and toys and some cryptic goodbye, Maxwell cared for those kids like his own. He was there when Imane first went to high school, when Runako first joined volleyball after watching the girls team play, when Imane went on her first date, and when Imane's first date ended horribly. He was there. Him and Runako were there for Imane in ways nobody else had ever need.

Traditions grew between the three of them, they spoke to each other about practically everything and even if Max couldn't give much helpful advice due to his limited life experiences, he was always there to listen. And for that, Imane Morris would forever be in debt.