21

Errend was pacing the small sitting area that served as Inta's living room. His nerves were starting to eat through his practiced calm.

He couldn't stop going over all the incidents that had occurred in the last few days. Between his weird feeling of connection to Aiya, her being infected by the strange bacteria the Rakshasa beasts carried and his waning control over his peace and calm when Aiya was involved, he didn't feel like himself. The whole thing was disturbing.

Adding to his inner turmoil was the condition Inta was in and the overwhelming need to protect his friend's unique daughter. He couldn't explain it, but he knew the girl was important.

Continuing his pacing Errend ran his sweaty hands through his unruly hair and suddenly realized he really needed a wash. With his arms over his head, he got a good wif of himself and instantly regretted it.

"Errend?"

Inta's soft voice startled Errend so much he had to swallow a yelp. The woman could apparently still creep around as quiet as a shadow. She had always been the only one who could surprise him. He never did figure out how she could move so soundlessly.

Errend turned around and let his weary eyes rest on the whithered frame of his lifelong friend. Her colour was a bit better after sleeping for four hours. Or had it been six now?

Didn't matter. She was still too thin, eyes full of far more pain than just the physical pain of her abused body. The shadows under her eyes seemed to be headstones for her inner agonies.

"Inta. How are you?"

Inta gave him a half-smile. Tired but wry.

"How do I look?"

"Is that really safe to answer?" Errend couldn't have stopped his replying half-smile even if he'd wanted to. Vishnu, he had missed her.

"Well, politeness aside, I can confidently say I feel worse than I look."

Inta chuckled at Errend's look of dismay. It was humourless and made Errend's heart ache. She was bitter, and the sound that should have been laughter sounded more like a mocking cackle.

"Could be worse, Errend. They could be testing Sardini and not me. At least this way, I have less guilt to try and sleep through."

Errend had to turn away from the coldness in his friend's eyes. She was no longer whole. A part of her was dead. Her eyes told the story.

"Inta, I will not let them touch her. I promise."

Inta's face softened, and her eyes welled with tears.

"Thank you, Errend. Doing this all alone, trying to keep her safe and having no one I can trust... I..." tears started down her face, and she let out a shaky breath as she tried to find words. "I was so afraid that failing Sardini was inevitable. And now you're here."

Inta's last words came out so quietly they were barely audible. Errend couldn't imagine what Inta must have gone through daily. The fear, the pain, the willingness to do anything as long as the doctors remained uninterested in her daughter.

Errend decided Sardini must be good at blending into her surroundings or at least going unnoticed. She must. Because one look, one good look and no one would mistake her for just a mundane, ordinary child.

"Together, Inta, we will make sure your daughter remains untouched and safe. Perhaps... No, that is a bad idea."

Inta reached out, a tentative hand touching his arm like a ghost. It was strange for Errend to see her like this. She had been bold, full of confidence and fire. Now her touch barely could be felt as she cautiously reached out to him.