9) A Foreign Warmth

"That's not what I meant, Lexine Moore, and you know it." Mary's face was flushed with laughter as she grasp my arm for support.

"You didn't mean that you would totally let him have his way if you were in this book?" Her voice exploded through the speaker of my phone as I squinted against the brightness of the sun, abnormal for Forks and even queerer for December.

"I—" The sun filtering through the dense trees danced on her face, turning her deep eyes into shades of molten gold and fresh honey. "I said that if I happened to be passing him on their journey south, especially with the horror happening everywhere else and the world, you know, ending, I would feel safer with him and his son."

Sunlight flowed through the leaves above, bright streams igniting every gap, casting a gentle heat that warmed me pleasantly. That was the difference between the sun in Texas and the sun in Fork. In Texas the sun would beat down upon the earth, furious and vengeful. While the Forks sun was a loose hug of an old friend, gentle and loving. There was an ethereal beauty to the sunlight, as if a layer of tinted filtering had been added in the sky. Everything was lit in honeyed tones, beautiful and soothing.

Today the sunlight conjured the most brilliant of mosaics, reflecting from each leaf and wisp of cloud. It was as if there was a pure joy in the light, as if it were happy to create art where it shone, warm and steady. It was as the smiles of friends, as fresh rain after summer sun, something to quench and soothe all at once.

Mare moved her hand through the air, watching her finger. It was almost as if the light was amber nectar, flowing in slow, graceful swirls.

"You did start that off with saying he was kinda hot," Candy countered, her voice cracking as if she wasn't close to the phone.

"I said that because of how he treated his son, I could find him kinda hot." Mare rested her head on the back of her seat, relishing the sunlight she had missed these past two weeks.

Sunlight kisses her hair, highlighting the red undertones in her warm brown hair. The sun made us look more like sisters than cousins. "Isn't that kinda the same thing, Mare?"

A high-pitch voice mumbled something excitedly in the background.

"Yes, baby?" Lexi responded, voice muffled as she turned away from the phone.

A grin highlighted my face as I heard the sound of little footsteps racing over hardwood floors. "Awa!" Allie exclaimed, voice echoing through the car as she ran closer. "Awa?" Her little voice filled with confusion. "Mama, where is Awa?"

"She's on the phone, darling, not under the couch," Lex's laugh danced through my phone speaker like a melody. "She's been convinced that you have been hiding under the couch," she added to me. "Goodness knows where that girl got the idea from— Hey, baby—" she huffed as Allison collapsed on top of her, I'm sure.

"Awa!" Allie's voice pounded through the car as she shoved the phone practically into her mouth, no doubt. "Awa, whe'e a'e you? Mama said you goed away? Why 'ouldn't I 'ome?"

"I came to live with my daddy," I responded, a warmth curling around my heart. "You have to stay in Texas with your Mama and Nana. I'll be back really soon though, Allie. Can you keep your Mama out of trouble until I get back?"

After a moment of silence, Mel laughed. "She can't see you, Minnie. You have to use your big kid words for her."

"I will, I p-pwomise." A screeching echo cut through the phone as Lex's phone hit the ground, likely dropped by Allie. "Mama, who's my daddy?"

Lexi interrupted her daughter, "Right, Allie-baby, why don't you go with Candy to get ready for shopping with Nana?"

"Shopping!" Her voice twirled through the air as the sound of her footsteps pounded away, stopping when Candy laughed, likely picking up the little girl.