15. SPUTNIK

Warnings: a lot of fighting but I swear it's meaningful, violence, blood, knives and guns. Being pushed to the limit.

--

He came out like a ghost from the blanket of smoke that enveloped the whole area. Behind him, the house and the village in flames and the sky made reddish by fire made everything cinematic. From that distance she could almost hear him marching on the grass as he quickly approached while the wind slightly moved his hair.

Anya knew he was heading for her. And she had no intention of running away. Her touch lingered for a moment on her belt, where the knife with the star was resting. Anya picked up a couple of cartridges from her pocket, held the rifle in front of her and -holding the cartridges between her teeth- opened the rifle to load it.

She reloaded it with a sound that echoed through the night as the Winter Soldier was climbing the stone wall. To capture a predator you can't remain the prey. You have to become an equal. In every way. So she decided she would be brutal.

In that moment, anger was better than tears. Better than grief. Better than guilt. Death is not a lover.

Oh yes, he is. And he's after me.

"Please don't make me do this." Anya's voice wasn't broken by the pain in her chest, but firm and determined instead. But he didn't answer, his face completely covered under the mask and goggles.

Anya's shotgun emitted a loud bang and the recoil was violent, but she hadn't hit him, in fact he parried it with his left arm. She started running and she could hear him shooting behind her. She turned around just to shoot, but even this time she didn't catch him either.

She didn't know what was wrong with her, but all of a sudden it was like she didn't know how to shoot anymore. After a while she ran out of ammunition and she threw the shotgun away, cursing and running as fast as she could on the stone wall. Going left and right to dodge the bullets, while deafening shots echoed behind her.

Run, she said to herself, run and don't look back.

Anya was panting for air, her legs hurt terribly from the effort, and behind her the Winter Soldier was catching up with her quickly. She could hear the sound of his combat boots hitting the stones, and the whirring coming from his metal arm.

And then Anya fell, tripping over a slightly higher stone, falling off the wall and rolling a bit after the impact. She must have hit her head hard, because for a moment she swore she could see little stars spinning around her. And in no time at all, he was there.

When she opened her sore eyes again, her whole body ached, a stinging pain in her head as her left eye was killing her from the twitching. She was lying on the ground and he came up from behind. Seeing the figure towering over her upside-down, for a moment Anya felt already dead.

Then Anya saw him aiming a gun at her, and all of a sudden she had the clarity and strength to roll left to dodge the bullet. Then to the right when he fired again. And by then she was already holding her handgun, retrieved from her belt. Throwing her head back against the ground to look at him, she threw her hands over her head to shoot in his direction. Even though she had to pull the trigger a couple of times before finally shooting him in the leg.

It won't kill you but at least it will slow you down a bit.

The Soldier grunted as he fired towards her, but she had already jumped to her feet, starting to run towards the trees again. She kept running for dear life, her legs moving faster on the damp ground, the plants whipping her face, entangling in her hair. She ran, drawing on all her strength, her heart threatening to burst in her chest, but she didn't slow down. Anya could feel her skin trembling under the droplets of sweat running down her back, while her left eye was throbbing incessantly.