Chapter 6

The next day, after having brought the trap into school, while most kids were watching a VHS tape of Child's Play from 1988, Podcast was trying to pry the trap open but to no avail. Grooberson noticed and stood up.

"I've gotta know what's lurking inside." Podcast says

"Whoa, killer replica." Grooberson says as he walks over and picks up the trap

"Totally." Podcast comments

"A replica of what?" Phoebe comments

"A trap." Grooberson says before noticing neither of the two knew what he was talking about. "A ghost trap?" he added, even more confused Podcast had no clue what it is. "Come on, how do you of all people not know what this is?"

"I'm ashamed of myself." Podcast comments

Grooberson kept examining the trap.

"I was obsessed." Grooberson stated. "New York in the 80s and early 1990s, it was like the walking dead."

"Then it just....stopped?" Phoebe asks

"Uh huh." Grooberson says. "I mean, there hasn't been a ghost sighting in over 30 years, especially in New York."

Suddenly, a light steam emerged from the top of the trap before instantly retracting back into it and he dropped it, making it spark a little. Something was clearly in there that wanted out somehow.

"Wait a minute....." Grooberson comments, kneeling down a little. "This thing is real??"

"Absolutely." Podcast comments

"Maybe." Phoebe stated. "I found it in my living room."

"She lives in the Dirt farm." Podcast says to Grooberson. "You know, that really spooky one that says 'dirt on it?"

Grooberson nodded before Phoebe looked at him and asks, "What happened in New York?"

Later, Grooberson had brought the two to a side take and played some old archival news footage from the mid 80s to early 90s

"The whole city was freaking out and then a team of guys showed up with back mounted proton accelerators and blew the roof off of a Manhattan high rise in 84, made the Statue of Liberty come to life in 89, and in 91 they destroyed a graveyard that rose from the ground in Central Park." Grooberson says before looking at Phoebe and Podcast. "None of this rings a bell?"

"All those years were before either of us were even born." Phoebe stated

"Well, I believe it." Podcast comments

"Your dad never mentioned any of these events to you?" Grooberson asked Phoebe

Phoebe was silent before saying, "just my mom."

"Oh. I see." Grooberson says. "Wonder if this old trap still works."

Later, after school was out for the day, they hadf the trap on the hood of Grooberson's car, two jumper cable ends attached to it and two attached to an un covered engine spot on a school bus.

"Are you sure this is safe with what we have?" Phoebe asks

"Safe?? No. History is safe. Geometry, that's safe." Grooberson comments as he handed Podcast a set of keys to start the bus's engine and Phoebe set up the trap's pedal. "Science is all particle accelerators and hydrogen bombs. Science is giving yourself the plague and gambling on the cure."

"So it's pretty reckless." Phoebe stated

"Yes, yes it is." Grooberson responds. "Safety pins are the nipples of academia."