Chapter 6: Stay out of this

Dozens of SHIELD agents escorted Loki down the hallway of the hellicarrier. His hands were cuffed behind his back and he seemed to wear a permanent smirk. Doctor Banner was working in his lab, examining Loki's scepter when the Prince walked by. He paused his work to watch Loki pass.

***

Axlen stood in the back of briefing room staring at the screen displaying her husband in the cell. The Avengers were all sitting, huddled around the screen in silent anticipation for what was about to transpire. Fenrir stood behind them with his arms crossed.

"Fenrir," Axlen said. "Go to the main deck. I am sure one of the agents would be glad to escort you if you ask."

Fenrir shot her an icy glare that rivaled his father's. "Why?"

"I'd like to preserve what little faith in your father that you have."

"Who said it was little?"

"Prince Fenrir Lokison, leave this room at once," Axlen's voice was stern this time and it caused Fenrir to straighten immediately.

"Yes, Mother." He gave a curt nod before leaving the room, the door slid shut behind him automatically.

Tony chuckled. "I remember when you used to do that to me."

"I still do, Anthony. Do not pride yourself just yet."

Axlen pushed off from against the wall as Fury popped up onto the screen.

Loki was standing in the middle of the cell with his hands behind his back as he watched the Director. Axlen could tell he was analyzing his every move.

Fury approached the control panel. "In case it's unclear. You try to escape. You so much as scratch that glass." He pressed a button and the floor beneath the cell opened to reveal the ocean below. "Thirty thousand feet, straight down in a steel trap. You get how that works?!" Fury closed to hatch and pointed at Loki. "Ant. Boot."

"How did he not shit his pants," Tony asked genuinely.

"Fury is a fool. That is why." Axlen spoke quietly.

"It's an impressive cage. Not built, I think, for me." Loki smirked and glanced towards the camera in the corner of the room.

"Built for something a lot stronger than you." Fury said.

"My wife?" Loki raised an eyebrow.

Axlen rolled her eyes as the Avengers glanced back at her.

Loki chuckled and looked towards the camera. "No, no. I've heard... The mindless beast, makes play he's still a man. How desperate are you, that you call upon such lost creatures to defend you?"

Dr. Banner stared intently at the screen as the others glanced at him nervously.

"How desperate am I? You threaten my world with war. You steal a force you can't hope to control. You talk about peace and you kill 'cause it's fun." Fury spoke with authority, but Axlen couldn't help but roll her eyes. "You have made me very desperate. You might not be glad that you did. Especially since I heard all it takes is a woman's scorn to stop you in your tracks."

Loki grinned and took a few steps closer to Fury. "Ooh. It burns you to come so close. To have the Tesseract, to have power, unlimited power. And for what? A warm light for all mankind to share, and then to be reminded what real power is."

"Your wife?" Fury smirked.

Loki's grin fell into a smirk. "You know not who you side with, Mortal, for her loyalties do not lie with you."