Chapter 2

Hungry, tired, and in excruciating pain. That was everything Maunaloa felt when she finally finished her week long trip to the capital. To say the least, she had been kicked in the stomach by a donkey, robbed of all her money, slept on the ground, and hadn't washed since leaving her home.

When the southerner finally found her way to the capital's gates, she was in awe. She had always heard stories about the amazing capital, but standing inside of it just took her breath away. Despite her tiredness, she noticed the perfect architecture, the grid-like pattern to the streets, and the people. There were people everywhere she turned. As she walked aimlessly, she began to realize just how deep a hole she dug for herself.

It had taken her a stressful week to arrive in the capital, to continue straight through to Annea spelled death. Loa needed to take a break: how, when, and where were her only concerns.

Maunaloa had walked the streets of the bright capital for about twenty-five minutes before she found the center of the city. The streets were lit by firelight suspended in white paper laterns. The orange light mixed in with the white starlight made Loa let out a small gasp.

The smell of food was the next thing that hit her. It was warm and delicious smelling with hints of fried fish and sugar. Loa's mouth began to water as her eyes took in all of the colors. Women walked around in tasteful red and cerulean blue dresses, their hair was adorned with gold and their eyes were rimmed with black. Everyone looked ten times prettier than villagers did. The teenager watched men walk with gold on their wrists and golden teeth and perfect hair.

The best part about it was, it seemed people of all regions were here, living in harmony. She could spot Anneans with their plain brown eyes, and lighter colored hair as they walked lazily and with seemingly no prupose. The Illyanese with their defined faces, crystal blue eyes, and luscious black hair walked with a certain confidence known to those of the Eastern region. Of course there were Nadirans eating at all of the venders' carts with their green eyes, tan skin, and chocolatey brown hair. Most surprising of all was the people of Eldia actually socializing with all of the others. The Eldians, who were infamously known for their red eyes and either purple, red, or blue hair were getting along with people from other regions.

"I'm in some type of weird heaven..." Loa muttered to herself with wide eyes. Just then, an ache took over her body and the overwhelming-ness of the entire city hit her. She felt tired and no matter how bright the lights were or how colorful it seemed to be, Loa needed to sleep. The teenager yawned and began to navigate through the crowded streets.

Loa hadn't walked for more than ten minutes when she spotted an open window on the bottom floor. She stopped in her tracks. She had no idea where or what this place was, but she could see boxes in the corner of the room and a bed up against the wall opposite the window. It looked empty, and the dust on the boxes made her believe the room wasn't being used. She let out a thankful hooray.

Quickly, she scrambled into the window and landed with a soft thud. She rushed to the bed without so much as a thought and plopped down. A week's worth of exhaustion washed over Loa as soon as her body hit the plush bed. Even the people in the city lived in luxury. Back home in Nadira, Loa's bed was a little cot made of sheep wool and straw. This bed was on a whole other level. She tucked herself into the warm blankets and felt her eyes immediately flutter close. She was asleep before she could blink twice.

***

There was a bright light ruining the dark of Loa's sleep. It was so bright it was hard to ignore. A single eyelid managed to spring open, causing her to have a blurry view of the world. She had to open her second eye reluctantly in order to gauge her surroundings. The sun was shining through an open window, a warm breeze blowing through it.