Chapter 5

Loa tumbled onto the floor. Vikter scoffed at her from above; his landing had been a bit smoother than Loa's. She looked up at him and blew hair from her face. "What the heck was that?! Where did you come from?! Did you kill that woman....thing?" The questions tumbled from Loa's mouth quicker than her brain could process. 

Vikter scrunched his face at her and sighed. "You and your cursed questions," he muttered. He reached down to grab the babbling girl's arm and pulled her up. "Look, I know you're curious, but I really think you're better off not knowing," Vikter added.

"That may be true, but if there's anything I want more than to leave, it's to know what in the world is going on around this place," Loa groaned and dusted herself off. It was true, she was growing in her curiosity. The more questions that remained unanswered, the more she wanted to get to the bottom of it. There was a mysterious school in the middle of the Capital that no one had ever heard of, there was a 'math club' that was intent on killing off Loa, and now there was a psychotic, and possibly dead, serpent secretary. Loa had chosen the wrong window to sneak into.

"It doesn't matter," Vikter shook his head at her. His eyes were clouded over, he seemed deep in thought. Loa wasn't stupid, she knew what kind of face that was. It seemed like Vikter was just as confused about that secretary as Loa. Maybe he was quiet because of his manly pride? Figures.

"You're right," Loa finally gave in. "It doesn't matter," she said and shrugged. If Vikter was clueless, there was only so many other things he could be clueless about. Maybe this place was a big mystery to everyone. Loa didn't know, but she was happy to be leaving soon. She would get through this day and then leave at night. It would be fine. Besides, the brightly lit Capital seemed more inviting than the stupid school.

"Good!" Vikter said and put his hand on her shoulder. Loa watched his face morph into disgust. She had kind of taken a bath in acidic slime thanks to that no good woman. "Looks like you'll need a new uniform," he said with a sigh. Loa let out a laugh. She wasn't humored, it was more like she didnt want anything to do with that stupid Math Club room. Her laugh was that of pain.

***

When nighttime finally hit, Loa was so relieved that she would get to leave this prison that they called school. "Hurry up!" Vikter whispered harshly. The two were back in his room, and he had did some fancy magic trick that made the window open without setting off alarms. He was outside already, and standing on the ground. He called out to Loa a second time.

"I am trying!" She argued and stepped out of the window onto the ledge. She jumped down to the ground without closing the window behind her.

"Okay, I'll guide you to a side street. If you follow it you should reach a large plaza. Just beyond that plaza is the wall to leave. You're on your own trying to leave," Vikter said.

"Okay. Thanks for..." Loa thought about what to say. She wasn't really all that thankful for anything that happened at the school. "Not killing me," she said after a moment of thought. Vikter started to walk ahead of her, staying close to the shadows. The streets were alive with life. The lanterns gave off a yellow glow that illuminated the darkness, but not quite.

"Don't mention it," Vikter grunted. They stayed close to the walls and walked in silence for the rest of the time. Loa couldn't help but admire the city life. She nearly fainted when she saw an Eldian man and a Nadiran woman share a cute kiss. She wanted to believe that she could live here, but there was something in her that denied it. She didn't know what it was exactly, but she couldn't see her anywhere else but in seclusion.

The minutes seemed to fly by; the two had arrived at their destination in no time. "Okay, follow this street like I said and you'll be fine," Vikter said. Loa nodded her head and took a step toward the street. "Wait!" He grabbed her elbow before she could leave.