Ch 37

There I stood, trying to refocus my energy. Rather hard when you're being married to the guy you hate most in the world. And the one person you're supposed to love and be with is slowly dying. Yeah, this should be easy. Not to mention, I have to let go of my element, the thing I've cherished for so many years. I took it for granted.

I couldn't place one freaking word that the vampire-priest-official-guy was saying, it was all in their own language. It just went in one ear and out the other. I was so lost in thought I think I fell asleep. I snapped awake when there was a shrill bang, followed by a loud boom. After that the words became rushed and his face became even paler.

I tried to focus, but the consistent booming kept derailing my train of thought. I know exactly what the noise was. My last hope.

My family. The packs. My friends.

I heard Ashton whisper something to the vampire official. I can only assume it was something along the lines of, "Hurry this along or you'll be the first to die."

"Getting worried are we?" I smirked, feeling the waves of anxiety roll off of him.

He drew his eyes up to mine, licking his red with my green. "Nothing you need to worry about, sweetheart."

I give him my best smile. "So comforting as always, Ashton."

He smiled at me, his fangs flashing between his lips. Those fangs were a crippling reminder of what is to come. Unless my family can get to me and Derek.

Focus, I need to focus. Focus and I can free Derek. Maria said the power, my power, lies within me. That has to mean my Marks, the tree mainly. She did make my dress to frame it.

I found my source, I just needed a reason to use it. Trying to escape while surrounded by a thousand vampires isn't the smartest idea. So, a flawless escape is not happening.

"Do you Ashton Edom take Robin Green as your queen, forever,as long as you both shall live?" Funky-hat asked Ashton in English. Finally I could understand, but now I have to hurry.

The booming. Where is that coming from? I listen, getting slightly sidetracked. For a moment everything is silent, and that's when it hits me.

'Mae!' I yell through the link. I don't even know if it will work.

'Robin! You're alive!' Three voices scream in my mind.

'Thanks for the memo.' I think to them, unable to help the sarcastic response.

'Save the sarcasm for when we aren't about to die.' Maddy snaps through the link, I can feel her glaring at me mentally.

'When I'm dead I can't make comments like this, either demons or angels are going to get sick of me.' I'm just pointing out the facts here. The booming resumes, shaking the link a little.

I notice a fine dust fall from the cathedral ceiling. They're trying to break a whole into the fortress.

'Where are you guys trying to break in from?' I asked hurriedly as the vampires all look to me.

"Hmm?" I ask funky-hat, because apparently I missed something.

He looks kinda miffed as he recites whatever he said again. "Do you, Robin Green, take Ashton Edom to be your king, forever, as you both shall..."

'Directly above their alter thing.' Wes answers my question.

I smile widely and look at Ashton. 'Great, see ya soon.'

"No." I smirk at Ashton's shocked face. So many gasps erupt from the crowd.

Ashton's blood red eyes glow with fire. "He dies if you don't say yes, remember. I get my way no matter what, I was being nice and letting you keep him as a pet."