Infernius

[Disclaimer, Malakai in this story is Infernius before he became known as the flaming skeleton we know of today].

Infernius POV:

"Malakai! Malakai! Did you fall asleep from reading your books again!? Come play with us!" A young girl, around my age yelled at me. I woke up underneath a shady oak tree with my stack of books beside me and Scarlett in front of me. Am... Am I dreaming? I asked myself, or was that battle with the Nether King a dream?

Scarlett and I were eight. We were born into the same generation of the Coven, alongside Victor and a couple other children. The story, according to my books, was that a long time ago, an Enderkin by the name of Gwendolyn came to the Overworld and donned arcane magic to five other individuals. The six of them became known as the Founders, with Gwendolyn being the original Founder of this group of people soon to be named the Coven. Generations pass by, and new generations of sorcerers were birthed into the Coven. The Coven's magic, however, began to weaken as generations were birthed, unless they were descendants of Gwendolyn. I guessed it was due to the nature of how the magic was spread.

Gwendolyn was born with it, the other five Founders were gifted it, not to mention the other five Founders were merely humans and not Enderkin. I've always found interest reading into the history of how we came to be. The other children make fun of me for loving my books, but I didn't let that phase me from learning as much as I can of the Coven, and our powers.

The children of my generation used their magic in games, while I used it in tests. I found interest in discovering new things such as the range of my arcane capabilities, along with what forms of magic I can perform. And here was Scarlett, asking me to play a magic game.

"Ehhhh, I think I'll pass," I replied, "I want to read this book some more."

"Oh, come on!!!" Scarlett exclaimed as she grabbed my hand, pulling me from my seat, "We're playing a game of Coven Tag! We need another person to make the teams equal!"

I sighed with annoyance and replied, "Fine, I'll join in."

I had to admit one thing to myself. There was something about Scarlett that I enjoyed. Something that made the time we spent on this Overworld seem to last forever. It didn't take her much to get me to do something, even if I really didn't want to do it. I followed Scarlett down the twisty trail within the forest to a clearing, where two other children stood waiting. I've seen them around, and knew they were a couple years older than us, but I never really learned their names. One was a girl, and the other was a boy. "Uhhhh, who is this, Scarlett?" the boy asked.

"Oh yes, I should introduce you all," Scarlett giggled, "This is Malakai, a real bookworm, and Malakai, this is Edith and Tobias."

Edith held out her hand to me and I shook it, while Tobias scoffed at my presence. He seemed uptight and harsh to me, but I didn't care. It's not like I wanted to play this game either. "Alright, so I was thinking we made this game of Coven Tag girls vs. boys," Scarlett requested.

Tobias growled and replied, "I don't want to play girls vs boys. I want to be on your team."

What's his problem? I thought to myself. "Uh, ok then," Scarlett said timidly, "So it'll be me and Tobias against you and Edith. First team to tag the other team members three times wins!"

"Should I start the timer?" I requested.

"Yes nerd, do it!" Scarlett teased. I couldn't help but to smirk at her teasing. It was cutesy. I held out my hands and conjured an orb of fire between us four, wrapped in a delay spell to diminish in twenty seconds, causing the fireball to propel upwards and explode. Once I done so, we all began running in opposite directions to find places to hide in.