Prologue - He's just so incredibly perfect

"Have you seen him? Where is he?'' My eyes scan the field anxiously, hoping to spot the main reason I'm at our school's stadium right now.

Well, probably the only reason I'm here.

I bite my nails as I try to find Dylan in the crowd of players, but there's no sign of him.

They all look the same wearing the school's uniform and equipment, but I would be able to distinguish him from the rest of his teammates in the blink of an eye. What can I say? That's a skill I mastered throughout the years.

I take my hand to my chest and I feel my heart beating fast, like it does every time I'm about to see him.

''Relax, he's probably still at the lockers and should be out here soon. Our golden boy wouldn't miss his last game, now would he?'' Lilly looks at me with one of her perfectly shaped brows pulled up and a tiny smirk that makes me roll my eyes.

''Well, it is indeed the last game of his high school career, so of course he will be here. Plus, there's a farewell party ready for him afterwards, you know that."

''I know, I know, it's not like you've said it a million times.'' She states in a bored tone and tosses another popcorn into her mouth.

I know my best friend is highly against my crush on Dylan, but that's because she doesn't know him like I do. I don't understand how Lilly can be immune to his charms, if I'm being honest.

I mean, the guy is perfect.

The way he passes his hand through his blonde hair when it falls on his forehead, his piercing blue eyes, his athletic body and how he will wink at you knowing that your knees will get weak should be enough to get any girl to be head over heels for him.

That's actually what usually happens, if you consider that almost every girl in our school had a crush on him at some point. Except Lilly, I guess.

Lilly thinks I deserve better because she says and I quote "he's a Ken doll waiting to find his Barbie and I'm nothing like that."

She's actually right. Although I don't dress up very often, I am into stuff like make-up, but as I don't really know how to apply it, it is usually so light that I question why I even bother the trouble to put it on.

Not to mention that I'm far from being as tall and thin to be considered traditional Barbie material, with those long legs of hers. I mean, I'm not short, I'm 5'7", but my legs are regular and I could definitely use some exercise.

Maybe if I were a Barbie and did those things, you know, like dressing up, wearing high heels more often and putting more make-up on, Dylan would notice me.

I know for a fact that this is his type.

Just when my mind goes to the last time I wore high heels, which ended with me falling face first on the floor, Lilly's voice gets me out of my trance.

''Oh there he is. Your platonic lover is out there on the field.''

''Do you have to say it like this?'' I shot her a dirty look. I get annoyed every time she reminds me that Dylan and I don't have anything romantic going on. We're just friends, if that's what we even are.

I guess you can say that, even if he only talks to me when we're not at school. The thing is, we've known each other ever since we were born, well, ever since I was born, considering he's one year older than me. I'm about to go to my senior year at Millburn High School, while Dylan is graduating.

Our parents met on a trip to Europe before we were even born and they immediately bonded. They then found out that they lived in the same area. Such a coincidence, right?