03|

|FORMALITIES

-------

"Okay. Well please, continue" I said, as this man continued to look at me.

I couldn't read his brown face for shit, but I swear, a small hint of humor was definitely mixed within it.

"No one really knows who the first artist was" he paused before continuing.

"We could sit up here and say Leonardo, or Michelangelo all day, but the only reason they get brought up so much is because of popularity...as you said. We don't truly know who created the first piece of any type of art. Africans could have been the first, or Pharaohs. So I think it's just a bit of a stretch when the first name we think of is Leonardo...that's all I'm sayin Ms..." he trailed, as he waited for me to say my name.

I looked at him for a few seconds before responding.

"Professor Sharpe"

I placed a forced smile on my face as he nodded.

"Professor Sharpe" he repeated, quickly licking his lips.

"I kinda agree"

Thankful for another voice, I looked to see it came from the woman in the yellow hoodie.

Melanie.

"Okay...anyone else agree?" I questioned, as a few folks raised their hands.

"Interesting. Well, I think that would be the perfect test" I paused, turning around and taking a quick look at a pleased looking Professor Clary before turning back around.

"A small little research into who the real first actual artist was...according to you. Nothing has to be true, but I'm curious to see what you guys come up with. I want you all to look beyond the Leonardo's and the Michael Angelo's and dig deep"

"What if we don't find anything?" A Caucasian male student questioned.

"I don't believe you won't. There are many, many theories and other people who you may have never even heard of, hence, why the Leonardo's and the Michelangelo's almost always come up first.

"I know you guys can do it. Plus, I think it'll be really fun to see what you all come up with"

A few people nodded, as I took note of those who looked enthused and those who simply didn't.

I was excited though.

After a bit more discussion on a few other student's thoughts, I then dove into the 'history' of art before ending class with their first official assignment: creating a piece of art that's special to them, whether it be on paper or a collage, whatever spoke to their artist's heart.