Like a Moth Drawn to a Flame

"Fuck," Peter slammed his fist down on the counter as Lizzy turned and walked away from him silently, "Fuck, Angel, you know I didn't mean it." Peter paused as he listened for her. He heard the door of the cabin slam shut and his heart jumped, "Baby, come back!"

Peter rushed to the door as he mentally kicked himself as the image of her horrified expression was burned in his memory. Of course he didn't mean what he said. He was just so frustrated with himself that he took it out on her. He couldn't sleep, he couldn't get comfortable, he couldn't get it up, and he couldn't seem to get relief from any of it. And when she tried to get close to him he took it out on her...the person he loved most.

Peter cursed to himself as he shoved his feet into his boots, not bothering to tie them. He had to track her down and bring her back. He needed her with him where he knew she would be safe. He lept down the steps of the porch of the cabin and looked out at the snowy terrain for her, but she had disappeared into the woods. He looked down and saw the tracks she had left. Fresh flakes were sprinkling gentler from the sky like powdered sugar. It would take a long time to cover her tracks completely, but still he didn't want to take any chances.

Peter's boots crunched in the snow as he followed her footprints and called out her name, "Lizzy!"

His eyes watched as her tracks wound behind a large tree when suddenly he saw her dart out from the tree and run further into the woods, her ginger hair whipping behind her like flames.

Peter's pace quickened, as an alarm screamed out in the back of his head. He knew this forest and he knew what lay ahead. If she wasn't careful she'd head straight for the ravine of Rainbow Falls.

He had to catch her.

"Lizzy, wait!"

Her head whipped around but she didn't stop when suddenly she was nearly at the edge.

It was as if in slow motion as Peter watched her skid forward, shrieking out as she caught herself on a branch of a tree as her body teetered over the edge. Adrenaline surged through his body as he sprinted towards her screaming, "Elizabeth!"

He ran up and with his long reach he grabbed her around the waist and pulled her towards him. He stumbled back quickly from the edge, wrapping her in his arms and pulling her tightly against his chest as he breathed, "I got you, baby. I got you."

She buried her face in his chest as he felt her tremble. He sank down with her so he was sitting in the snow with her in his lap. The snow was soaking his jeans, but he didn't care as long as she was safe. He stroked her ginger hair and nuzzled it with his face as he breathed in her scent and caught his own breath before he whispered, "My angel wasn't meant to fly."

Peter swallowed as he held her tightly. Her trembling began to subside as her kissed the crown of her head, "Where the fuck did you think you were going anyway, huh? Running away from me like that?"

He looked down at her and her face remained buried in his chest and she started to shake again, but not from fear this time. This time he knew it was from tears and he had half a mind to jump off the ravine himself.

"Lizzy-"

"Wmf dff yomf brimf mffm hrr?" Lizzy's voice came, her words muffled by his chest.

Peter's brow furrowed as he looked down at her, "Angel, I can't understand you. What did you say?"

She pulled back and looked away from him, but he could see tears sliding down her cheek and she repeated softly, "I said why did you bring me here?"

Peter frowned at her words and responded, "Because I wanted to be with you. Baby-"