To My Sister

To My Sister,

Do you think of me?

Do I cross your mind when your intoxication has resulted in another disaster?

Or do you simply give a quick shake of the head and shove the rising feeling of responsibility down in your stomach and out of your mind.

Do you lay awake at night thinking of the alcohol induced mistakes you have made that imprint my memories from childhood to present?

Or do they slip away as easily as the next beer slides down your throat and washes away your inhibitions and memories.

Do you think of me when you wake up with a start after a nasty binge sifting through the blurred scenes of the previous night trying to discern what went wrong?

Do you think of mom and her relentless kindness that she continues to show to anyone and everyone
despite their bitter betrayals to her big heart and soft words?

Or do you think of your little daughter who is still too young to understand the gravity of your stumbles and slurred words that echo in the night.

I hope that you think of me because I always think of you...

I hope you think of me even though I really doubt that you do...

I hope you think of our mother and your daughter and every other wonderful person in our life who cares so much for you that you have pushed away while you reached for another drink...

Thinking of you,
Your Sister