The Welcoming

"Avengers, this is my best friend and new addition to the team, Freya McCullen." Nat introduced as we walked out of the elevator. I really wasn't expecting her to call me her best friend- it felt nice. My mouth shut with an audible click as I schooled my expression. They don't need to know that. The whole room looked at me, smiling, all saying hello and welcoming me to the team.

All except Bucky.

I tried to ignore the dread pooling in my stomach, as I smiled at him. It probable looked more like a grimace but either way, his stone cold expression stayed. I turned away sharply as Tony stood, clearing his throat.

"Alright," he clapped his hands together and *god* he really was quite dramatic, huh? "Well, I have to go finish off a welcome present for you, Freya. Who wants to take her to her room?" He turned his head to smirk at a certain someone. I winced.

"Bucky how about you?" I glanced over to Bucky slowly, only to see his insistent death stare. I tried to seem friendly, but he really wasn't making it easy, and I was still feeling the anxiety fill my body.

Steve saw Bucky's stare and quickly interjected. "I'll take her!" he said as he stood up, turning to smile at me gently. "Follow me."

As we walked down the hallway, he stopped and turned to face me, putting out his hand and smiling.

"I'm Steve Rogers. It's a pleasure to meet you Freya." he turned back and smirking a little over his shoulder, "I hope you enjoy being on the team."

I internally squealed. I know who you are! You were born on 4 July 1918 and became Captain America by being injected with the Super Soldier Serum during World War two and-

Thousands of fun facts about Captain America I had learnt from hours and hours of scrolling through the internet crossed my mind, and I barely stopped myself from spluttering out my thoughts. No. It wouldn't be good to scare a teammate.

"So, whats special about you?" Steve asked, breaking me out of my thoughts.

"Uh- I, Uh- well," I cleared my throat. "I can control the elements." I stared in awe of the chandeliers covering the roof and the massive windows we walked past.

We continued to walk through a hallway full of white doors. Some with posters and signs on them, others without. I knew it was the bedrooms when I saw a big sign with the name 'Wanda' in red cursive on it. A few doors across we stopped.

"Here is your room" Steve said while opening the door. I stood in shock. A window covered the whole wall facing the street. A double bed had its head against the wall opposite the ensuite. And next to the ensuite door was a giant walk in wardrobe. I couldn't believe my eyes. No one had ever treated me this nicely.

"Oh my god."

"Your room is in between Bucky and Nat's. I'll give you some time to unpack." Steve said while turning around.

"Wait! Steve."

He turned to face me.

"Did I do something to Bucky?" My voice bled concern.

His brows raised. "Oh. I'm sure everything is fine," He smiled slightly at me, "he just isn't too great at socialisation. Don't stress about it." Steve gave one last grin before walking out.

I walked to my bed and laid back, gazing at the roof. I felt like the luckiest girl in the world. I sat there in silence, closing my eyes and sighing in contentedly...

"Looks like you're comfy." I jumped, a scream threatening to leave my mouth before I saw Nat leaning against the frame of my door. I let out a shaky laugh as she smirked at me.

"Tony has decided to throw a welcome party for you. While its all well and fun, don't feel too special yet," she leaned her hand against her face, making a mock whisper. "He needs any excuse to throw a party." A real chuckle escaped my lips.

"It sounds great but.... I don't have any fancy clothes." A frown overtook my smile.

Nat smirked, "Which is exactly why we're are going shopping. Hurry up! We've got to go!" I quickly stood up and followed Nat to her car.

We drove to the shops and walked around. Nat found a beautiful red dress that touched the floor and had a slit in the side, and yeah, it really did suit her. We continued to walk as I looked for something that fit me, while Nat picked out more and more dresses that only made me cringe. We walked into the final shop, and I was beginning to lose hope. I readied myself to be dragged around by Nat and be yet again unsuccessful, until my eyes landed on an extravagant dark blue dress with sequins on the bottom- almost like stars.I turned to Nat and smiled. We knew it was this one.

That night we returned to the compound in time to prepare for the party. I quickly got changed and put my hair up in a slick bun. I looked at myself in the full length mirror. I had never dressed like this in my whole life, and for once, I truely felt... beautiful.

I stood there staring at my self for longer than what was really necessary until I heard Steves voice at the door.

"You look amazing."

I turned to see him leaning on the door, my eyes wide with joy.

"Would you like someone to go to the party with?" Steve held out his arm.

I smiled brightly. "Of course!"