Trust and doubts (I)

Mama P woke up to the hushed voices from his room; not feeling up to decipher a conversation between two twenty-year-olds, he rolled out of the couch to see Mavis drinking coffee in the kitchen, with her face set stone. She had a glass of red liquid out for him.

"It took you long enough to wake up with all this noise in the house, I'm impressed with how much things don't bother you." She slid the glass with blood across the table, which he had to run to catch before it hit the floor.

"Did you get anything?" He motioned towards the room with the girls.

"Just tidbits of "we need to save it", "can't trust them", and all that shit. Oh, here they come!"

Both changed their stances to face away from the room when the girls entered the hall.

Before they could say anything, a loud crash shook the house like an earthquake. Hannah cried out; Rubella ran back inside the room.

Mavis and Mama P shared a look and went to the window to see a group of mortal men, but they couldn't smell blood in their veins which were alarming but less alarming than the fact that they all had spears in hand.

They turned back in the room where Hannah was about to lose it, and Rubella had a backpack on, Mama P's bag.

And where do you think you are going, huh. Mama P thought.

"Hannah, get it together. I think it is time good enough to tell us what the deal is. Because we are clearly your only shot at getting out of this." Mavis said, fighting off a smile.

"Fine, it might sound unreal, but there are ruling wizards and werewolves in the world, aside from humans, and we are daughters of ruling fairy prince. We were on a mission when we lost all connections to fairyland, and we are as vulnerable as you mortals but forget not, we are more skilled than you!" Rubella tried to sound brave.

Mama P could smell her fear thick in the air. Bravery in the face of danger is definitely not her best suit. She sounds like a fool, too, he thought.

"And?" Mavis probed.

Rubella was taken aback by their indifference to fairy talk, which to her would have meant either that we didn't believe her or we were much dangerous than they might have imagined. Before she could say something, Hannah beat her to it, "And that's all we are willing to share for now."

Another crash shook the house.

"Okay, now, this is just becoming annoying!" She closed her eyes and drew her brows together, and everyone in the room felt warmth around them, and it was gone just as it came.

Mama P knew it was a safety spell around the house and how much it exhausts Mavis to use it. He offered a hand to her, which she took without hesitation.

The two girls were, safe to say, bewildered.

Guess there are creatures other than fairies with magic, too, Mavis mused.

"They are tracking you two, and the magic would wear off in a day or two. You can't stay here long, so what is the next part of your so-called mission or is it again something you can't tell us?" Mama P asked; Hannah looked at the ground at that.

"We need to go to the other town, a friend of the court would be waiting for us, and we should be safe then," Rubella answered.

Mavis moved back to the window to see the little army scattering to search for the girls again, so potent was her spell that no other warlock could cast a counterspell but were they doing the right thing?