1. The Trip to Moonacre Valley

I threw a rose onto my father's coffin, then walked over to my mother's grave, and placed a rose on her's too. My younger sister, Maria, did the same. We both stayed silent, as did everyone else at my father's funeral, mourning his death.

Then people started filling in his grave. We all stood there silently, almost as if it were a vigil, until it was filled in completely.

-----

Maria and I walked side by side with Miss Heliotrope down a hallway, entering the door to a lawyer's office. "Ah, Y/n and Maria Merryweather," he said, greeting us with a nod. We all sat down, and I was in the middle, with Miss Heliotrope to my left, and Maria to my right.

 "This being the last will and testament of Colonel George Herbert Merryweather of London," The lawyer stated.

"He- He- He- He lost it all?" Miss Heliotrope stuttered out, almost as if she couldn't believe it. "Including the house?" The lawyer nodded, unphased by how we were all reacting.

"That's impossible..." I murmured, "I don't understand how he could have lost everything."

"No. No! Papa can't have been in London," Maria said out loud to no one in particular. "Why, he wrote to me and said that he was coming home!"

"This doesn't make any sense at all. He wouldn't arrive and not..." I trailed off, not wanting to finish my sentence.

"Well, your father did leave you this book as your inheritance," the lawyer said looking at Maria, and handing her an old, dusty book. "And this, is yours."

I grabbed what looked to be a very old pocketknife, with Merryweather carved into it. While I was studying it, I had two questions. The first was how old it could be. The second question was why out of all of the things that my father owned, he gave Maria and I a random book, and an old pocketknife.

All three of us headed home in a carriage that would soon no longer be ours, as our father lost everything of ours, except for a stupid old book, and a pointless pocketknife. We headed inside and all sat down on Maria's bed to talk, while I was fiddling with the pocketknife that I had gotten.

Miss Heliotrope looked over at us with a pitying look on her face. "You two, I know this is hard, but, you know, I-I'm sure that your father did- did love you," she started, "He- He just... And- and you know, everybody does have to go out on their own at some point in their lives, and- and-"

"Miss Heliotrope, we're fine!" I snapped, "We get it, we don't need your pity, alright? We're okay."

"Really?" She replied, seeming worried.

"Yes," Maria and I both told her at the same time.

After that, I went back to my own room, setting the pocketknife on my nightstand, and began to pack for tomorrow. I knew that I couldn't pack much, since I would only be able to pack everything I needed into one trunk.

I packed all of my necessities, including stuff for hygiene, clothes, and a picture of Maria and I with both of my parents. I also grabbed the pocketknife that I got today, and put it in my trunk as well.

After I closed my trunk I got ready for bed, and blew the candles that I had sitting on my dresser and nightstand. I climbed into bed, and cried myself to sleep, thinking of all that has happened today, and what will come in the future.