Chapter 15

Jennie awoke to sunlight practically melting her face. When she was younger she always made sure to close her curtains so that this particular incident wouldn't happen, but it appeared that she forgot to do so last night. Jennie groaned and rolled over, not ready at all to face the day ahead. After a quick glance at her phone, confirming that it was past nine, Jennie shot out of bed.

Chuseok holiday at her house started early as fuck with a last-minute grocery trip before all the cooking would begin. Jennie stumbled around the room as she pulled on a pair of jeans and grabbed the closest shirt she could find. She brushed her hair on her way to the bathroom and, after a record-breaking time in there, Jennie was barreling down the stairs.

Sure enough in the kitchen, her mom was already bent over a massive turkey, brow furrowed in concentration.

Jennie leaned against the doorway and raised an eyebrow. "You know there's only going to be five of us, right?"

Dara looked up and smiled, "Good morning to you too. And of course, I know, but I also know that three out of those five are teenagers and can easily eat enough for two people."

"Well, technically Jin is an adult," Jennie said, grabbing an apple.

A sharp glare from Dara, one that Jennie had definitely inherited, shut her up quickly. Jennie sat on the stool, munching on her apple, while she watched her mom mix the turkey glaze. She was just getting down to the core when her dad popped his head in from the den, keys in hand.

"Ready for Battle at the Grocery Store part twelve?"

Jennie threw the core away and hopped off her stool. "Eleven years running so far and we're not about to come back empty-handed."

Dara sighed. "You do know that you've never really had to fight over food at the grocery store."

Mr. Kim held his hand out to stop his wife and closed his eyes. "Dara love, please. Let us live."

Dara rolled her own eyes and went back to pouring glaze all over their turkey. "Just don't forget anything on the list."

"We won't mom," Jennie promised with a grin. "Now come on Dad, I want to get back so we can make the pie."

***

True to Dara's prediction, there were no altercations at the grocery store. Once Mr. Kim and Jennie arrived back at the house it was a whirlwind of mixing batters, constantly putting and pulling things out of the oven, and doing their best to keep track of which timer belonged to which dish.

Jennie barely had time to get ready, let alone text Lisa like she wanted to. She was able to send her a quick 'happy chuseok <3' before the doorbell rang. Throwing down her brush Jennie ran down the stairs, eager to answer the door.

She flung it open to reveal Jisoo with her leg hoisted high above her head and resting against the brick wall to her side, her eyebrows raised and a cheeky grin plastered across her face. Jin was much more reserved, grimacing at his sister and holding his main contribution; baked macaroni.

"I told her not to." Was all he said as he stepped in through the open doorway. He kissed Jennie's cheek before heading into the kitchen, where her parents' excited hellos could be heard.

"Well don't you look magnificent." Jennie said as she leaned against the doorframe.

"Thank you, I planned this pose for like five minutes and it took me a solid minute to get into it. Jin huffed the entire time, that ragweed. Also, could you help me get out?"